Delaware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, so a Porter took 1st BOS and a Stout took 3rd BOS. Same thing happened in 2011. It's good to know what the judges like. Won't rely on my Light Lager if I enter.

I like the quote from Dogfish judge Dan Weber, "Balance is an important issue for a lot of home brewers.Sometimes they may use too much of one thing or too little of another thing, and the balance in-between the 2 doesn't always come through."

That's funny coming from Dogfish who make bitter beer a common base. Just a matter of taste but I'm trying to make beers less busy and more simple because if you got too much going on you're not going to get all the flavors out. It'd be nice to get a review though.

Looks like the Complete Results were posted on the website as well. So you can see your score if you didn't place. Looks like the American Ale category is missing a bunch of scores

I suppose there are chances of typos in that spreadsheet? This was my first competition ever, so I'm not too sure how the scoring works, but I had the second highest score in the "Belgian, French, and Sour" Flight.

Not sure if it's a typo, or I am missing something in the way the places are handed out?

Thanks for posting that link, by the way!

I suppose there are chances of typos in that spreadsheet? This was my first competition ever, so I'm not too sure how the scoring works, but I had the second highest score in the "Belgian, French, and Sour" Flight.

Not sure if it's a typo, or I am missing something in the way the places are handed out?

Thanks for posting that link, by the way!

They followed BJCP mini-Best of Show Guidelines to for reconciling the placement of entries within a multi-flight category. http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

In those cases, the score is not considered when the category placement is determined.

I think I get it. So my beer scored relatively well on its first tasting, then went to the mini-BOS with a bunch of other beers that had scores that were disregarded, and it didn't place out of that.

Thank you for the info! Cheers!

They followed BJCP mini-Best of Show Guidelines to for reconciling the placement of entries within a multi-flight category. http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

In those cases, the score is not considered when the category placement is determined.

I had the same thing happen in the IPA category. Beer scored a 42 then didn't even place. Kind of odd. My saison scored a 39.5 and that was good enough for second in its category. Both were the best scores in their categories so I'll take it.

Same thing happened to me. Scored the highest in the stout category with a 39.5. I didn't even place... Overall I am happy with how I scored. Only had 1 low score, apparently due to an infection? And my fruit beer scored under 30 (29), but I think the highest fruit beer score was a 31, so I guess they just don't like fruit beers!

They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :)

In preparing for next year's competition schedule I've read up on a lot of the BJCP judging requirements. When I first started home brewing I felt as if you had to be a chemist to understand the detailed art of brewing beer. While looking at the judging training/tests/requirements it feels like you need to be a biologist to get certified. I wouldn't mind putting my nose to the books and trying to get a judge's certificate but I'm looking forward to competitions and I don't think they'll let you enter and judge at the same time.

They had a good number of experienced & certified beer judges at the competition, but since there were about 300 beers to judge, they needed to recruit a few novice judges to help. I was one of only 3 judges with no prior judging experience. All of the novice judges were paired with an experienced judge, though. I knew judging wouldn't be easy and I was right. Even among experienced judges, I can easily see how there could be a wide range of scoring. But, I enjoyed the experience and plan to pursue becoming BJCP certified. I did the best I could, but with some training, I know I could do better. :)

So you were one of the ones who screwed it up.... :D :tank:

rmaloney86 said:
I really want to enter a beer in competition, any coming up around here?

Try this http://www.brew-monkey.com/events/events.php

One in Gaithersburg next month. I heard that the one at the state fair was created because there wasn't any competitions close by. Living in Georgetown I'd probably have to drive 2-4 hours for most of the comps in MD, VA, and PA.

In preparing for next year's competition schedule I've read up on a lot of the BJCP judging requirements. When I first started home brewing I felt as if you had to be a chemist to understand the detailed art of brewing beer. While looking at the judging training/tests/requirements it feels like you need to be a biologist to get certified. I wouldn't mind putting my nose to the books and trying to get a judge's certificate but I'm looking forward to competitions and I don't think they'll let you enter and judge at the same time.

Sure you can. I entered 2 beers. You just can't judge the same category that you entered. And I would imagine you couldn't judge Best in Show.

You even scored one of my beers, an American IPA :mug: Nice job!

Got the score sheets back today and overall I am very pleased by the comments and how the beers were evaluated. The judges took time to record their impressions and give constructive feedback & suggestions to help improve the recipe or my technique.

Some of the most thoughtful & helpful feedback I've received in the past 17 years of entering competitions. This was an order of magnitude better than what I experienced of the judges at the NHC Pittsburgh regional this year. My congratulations to the competition staff!

You even scored one of my beers, an American IPA :mug: Nice job!

Got the score sheets back today and overall I am very pleased by the comments and how the beers were evaluated. The judges took time to record their impressions and give constructive feedback & suggestions to help improve the recipe or my technique.

Some of the most thoughtful & helpful feedback I've received in the past 17 years of entering competitions. This was an order of magnitude better than what I experienced of the judges at the NHC Pittsburgh regional this year. My congratulations to the competition staff!

That was one of the categories I judged. I hope I gave you a good score! :mug:

Did you score a sheet and then talk it over with the BJCP judge or did they let you go at it by yourself? Any instances where you thought a beer was great and the BJCP judge dinged it? Just curious to see :)

I concur with a previous poster, great comp and useful feed
back!

Did you score a sheet and then talk it over with the BJCP judge or did they let you go at it by yourself? Any instances where you thought a beer was great and the BJCP judge dinged it? Just curious to see :)

I concur with a previous poster, great comp and useful feed
back!

I judged one category in the morning with one judge and another category in the afternoon with a different judge. The first judge was more willing to talk things over than the 2nd judge. But, the rule for all judge pairs was the scores had to fall within 5 points of each other for every beer. There were instances both ways where I like a beer that the other judge didn't and vice versa.

Do any of the experienced competition home brewers have any statistics on beer styles favored by the judges? I’m not making any accusations. I am just curious if any one has numbers (or an opinion) to show a particular beer wins more then others.

I can't say anything from competition experience. But from judge's tastes I'd assume that would be regional. With porters and stouts you can cover up the most mistakes. Clarity, fruity esters, strong aromas. I've been designing my beers not to be the greatest tasting but to have the fewest mistakes. I just made a Belgian Pale that stood up sip for sip against Sierra Nevada's Summer beer. But I used real whole fruit instead of peels or extract so my beer was a bit hazy. I didnt use any coriander seed so it was light on aroma and it was also 1-2 SRM points above competition quality Belgian Pale. For competitions I've been designing easier simple recipes the I can make the fewest mistakes with. I've also doubled or tripled down on my equipment so I can get fermentation temperatures right, longer boils, greater efficiency, etc.

Did we count the brewers in DE? It seems easy enough, maybe, 20? I don’t think that could support another brew pub. Of course they could be a heavy drinking 20.

Did we count the brewers in DE? It seems easy enough, maybe, 20? I don’t think that could support another brew pub. Of course they could be a heavy drinking 20.

You don't have to be a brewer to drink at a brewpub. :mug:

And there are hundreds of homebrewers in DE. However, most of them don't participate on forums or join clubs.

2BorNot said:
Do any of the experienced competition home brewers have any statistics on beer styles favored by the judges? I’m not making any accusations. I am just curious if any one has numbers (or an opinion) to show a particular beer wins more then others.

I have never entered or judged a competition, but reading recipes, studying styles and results from HB competitions, I believe I have observed that pushing the ABV of the style seems to yield more favorable results. If others feel that this may be a perception bias, then feel free to disagree and teach me to the contrary. :)

And that's not to say you can brew a 9% mild ale and win... Judges would knock that for being out of the style guidelines, but pushing it to the edges would be my strategy. I mean, let's face it, what homebrewer doesn't like a strong beer? It will make the competitors seem watery by comparison.

Obviously, this suggestion probably wouldn't work in the styles where lightness of flavor is important (American Lagers, Berliner Weiss, Hefeweizen, etc).

I have never entered or judged a competition, but reading recipes, studying styles and results from HB competitions, I believe I have observed that pushing the ABV of the style seems to yield more favorable results. If others feel that this may be a perception bias, then feel free to disagree and teach me to the contrary. :)

And that's not to say you can brew a 9% mild ale and win... Judges would knock that for being out of the style guidelines, but pushing it to the edges would be my strategy. I mean, let's face it, what homebrewer doesn't like a strong beer? It will make the competitors seem watery by comparison.

Obviously, this suggestion probably wouldn't work in the styles where lightness of flavor is important (American Lagers, Berliner Weiss, Hefeweizen, etc).
I think you have a good point. In fact, I think I remember reading a caution against this type of bias in the BJCP Study Guide.

Yes, good point. I’ve only created one recipe of my own and specifically tried to keep it on the lower side of the guideline. My thinking (after 2 or 3 maibocks) was it would be more drinkable with less ABV. Now that I think back, those maibocks were 9%, so I don’t know if it was the alcohol flavor or the thinning of the blood. I think your point makes much more sense.

Newark here (among the many). Been brewing for the last 6 years or so. Have my own home bar down in the basement, completely custom built. :D So glad to see all the DE folks here! (Now if I only was on more often I'd be more up on what's going on around here!)

Yet another Newark brewer here. I am just starting out. Trying to control my excitement so I don't get ahead of myself.

Who uses Xtreme brewing as their local homebrew store? I have had a gift certificate to there since the DE State Fair Homebrew Competition in July and just don't see myself using it. Their selection seems slim online, although I would assume the store itself has more items. Anyays, PM me if you are interested in the certificate...

new Northern Delaware brewer here. Hopefully I will be able to learn a thing or two from this site and meet up with some seasoned brewers.

Brewing in Delaware for a number of years now. I am not in a club yet, but get teh First State emails. Two kids and work always keep me from meetings on a friday evening! I just built a gravity fed brew stand and am excited to see it in action!

I'm also in North Delaware. I follow the First State Club on Facebook an enjoy reading the posts. We are due to have our fourth kid this week so some time constraints have kept me from joining the club. Great to see so many DE brewers though.

Wilmington Brewer here. been brewin' three years now- the only thing is that i've been traveling around the country for work past couple years- whenever at home, i brew my butt off.. i kicked out 8 batches in five months last sint home.

I am also in north DE. Does anyone know of local competitions in the area? I am relatively new to these parts. Thanks in advance.

Just moved back to the east coast last fall(North Jersey), but grew up in DE, born in Wilmington, Little League in the MOT league, middle and high school in Smyrna, and graduated from Caesar Rodney in 1990. My parents still live in Magnolia, and I get down there now every few months so the kids can visit. Just started brewing after New Year's and bottling my 4th batch in about 15 minutes. (Pale Ale, Malted Cider(Graff), Cider, and an IPA so far) Crap, homebrewing is addictive!

Back