Any cool containers to store grain in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting some large containers to store grain in so I don't constantly have to go to the brew store. Has anyone seen or heard of any cool idea's for storage? I was thinking wine barrels, but that has nothing to do with beer (not that it has to).

This is what I got. Love these things. Going forward, I think I'll go with the 6 gallon since I can't quite fit 50lb in 2 5 gallon buckets.

Item: IN MS C100 - 5-Gallon Bucket (No Lid)
Item: IN MS L701 - GAMMA SEALT Lid

http://beprepared.com/

I have a 3000 bushel steel bin to put my unmalted grain in. Alongside that is two 2500 bushel bins for other grains. Is that what you meant?

Oh by the way, I'm a small time farmer and those grains are meant to go to market.

I'd use the buckets you get for free from grocery store bakeries. They have seals in the lids and for free you can't beat the price. The only drawback is that they are 3 gallon.

As an alternative to Vittle Vaults, I've been wanting to try these.

They're called Buddeez Bag-In Pet Food Dispensers and this one is 60 gallon. Sunken wheels on the back. Complete with scoop. Haven't found them anywhere that shipping isn't 50% of the unit price.

hr_000710buddeez.jpg

As an alternative to Vittle Vaults, I've been wanting to try these.

They're called Buddeez Bag-In Pet Food Dispensers and this one is 60 gallon. Sunken wheels on the back. Complete with scoop. Haven't found them anywhere that shipping isn't 50% of the unit price.

I have one of those for dog food. Purchased in-store at PetCo.
Even though the top has an O-ring, it doesn't make a real seal like a bucket lid does FYI

+1 on the free bakery containers. Need 2+ though for a 55lb bulk grain bag, but they are air tight and easily stackable. Only real drawback is cleaning out the flavored frosting, very tempting to just scoop and eat :)

Pulling off a 5 gallon bucket snap lid reminds me of *+&$+!! drywall mud. I got a couple of those twist off Gamma2 lids from Home DePot, which seems ok but the main lid gasket reeks of plastic funk. At roughly $4 for the bucket and $7 for the lid, the cost is close enough to buy regular screw lid FDA approved buckets from this place.

U Line screw-Top-Pails

For a few bucks more, 6.5 gal with blue, red, or white lids. Thinking this could be a nice fermenter too. lHBS sells the lid grommets. I hate stirring up the yeast getting the snap top off an ale pail.

Anyone try these yet? (Probably where the bakery's icing buckets come from...)

When you said cool, you made me think you were talking about "cool" as in "on display". My first thought was that nothing is cooler than the bags they come in (makes a surprisingly comfortable couch if you stack them right), especially if they are Weyermann or some other "real" bag (not Briess like paper bags). Then I started thinking of large glass silo's you could build with stainless steel lids. Like those sugar things on the counter, but 10 times the size (and in the living room, of course). Or a 15 gallon, tear-drop shaped demijohn!

After reading, I realized you meant something plastic with a fancy lid. :(

Another thought - a lot of grocery stores are getting rid of bulk coffee displays. It would be awesome to have specialty grains in those style dispensers.

These are what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002H3S5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Each will hold a 50# bag with space to spare, and they stack vertically. Totally airtight too, unlike the 5 gallon buckets so you won't get ants/weevils/etc in your grain should you store it in your garage like me.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but you're saying the 40 lb version will hold 50 lbs of grain? I dig the vertical stacking feature. Good way to safe space in the basement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why the 40# was linked, I use the 60# I believe. I think the 40# would work if the opening were vertical, but that would prevent it from stacking.

I've been storing mine in buckets like the ones from U-line. But reading through this thread just gave me an idea. I have this 15 gallon plastic inductor tank (conical fermentor) that I no longer use as a fermentor (thanks to Brewhemoth). I could use it like a grain silo. Now I just need some way that I could lower it for filling and raise it up again to dispense near my scale...

Back