Rye Dog Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matalec1984

Reaction score
Grain Bill:
7 lbs. English 2-row
3 lbs. Rye Malt
1 lb. Flaked Barley
12 oz. Crystal 40
8 oz. Flaked Rye
8 oz. Vienna Malt

Hops:
1 oz Cascade FWH
1 oz Cascade (60)
1 oz Cascade (30)
.5 oz Cascade aroma (5)
1 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
Mash at 152 degrees for 75 min
2-step Batch sparge at 168 degrees

Just put this guy into secondary, will dry hop for 5 or 6 days starting tomorrow. I had really good luck with a very tasty Black Rye Pale using a very similar recipe with the addition of chocolate and black patent malts so I'm expecting this to come out very nice.

Had my buddy bottle this up for me the other day, since I am out of town. I guess there was a little hiccup in the bottling process but it shouldn't effect the flavor. I'm excited to get home and try this beer in the next few days.

Cracked the first one of these today. Fortunately the slight bottling snafu from a couple weeks ago was minimal. (A little extra sediment then usual but still clear beer) More importantly it tastes great. Has that distinct Rye taste and a great hoppy nose. A combination of citrusy fruits and floral bouquets dominant the smell and cascade hops are clearly the star of this Rye Pale Ale from start to finish.

Very happy with how this beer turned out, and will more then likely keep this as one of my go to brews.

I love Rye beers. I do one that is very similar, just slightly less rye and Munich instead if vienna.

Amarillo and Cascade together work well with the rye. I just brewed it again yeasterday.

^^^
I agree with you beergolf, although I find Rye Beers very hit or miss. Either I think its fantastic, or I think they completely missed the mark. Wachusetts Ryde was the rye beer that real got me to join the bandwagon.

I also contemplated whether I was going to use vienna or munich in my recipe, ultimately I went with Vienna because I feel that it imparts a slightly sweeter malt characteristic versus toastier/breadier one from Munich. I may still go down that road next time.

Back