Caramel Malt question. NOT "Caramel/Crystal"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
New Belgium list Caramel as a malt in their no longer produced beer 2 Below LINK . But They Also list C-80, which they list in all of their other beers that they use caramel/crystal malt in. 2 Below is the only one which they specifically mention Caramel. I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything helpful. So my question is, is anyone familiar with Caramel malt when not in reference to Caramel/Crystal Malts?

New Belgium list Caramel as a malt in their no longer produced beer 2 Below LINK . But They Also list C-80, which they list in all of their other beers that they use caramel/crystal malt in. 2 Below is the only one which they specifically mention Caramel. I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything helpful. So my question is, is anyone familiar with Caramel malt when not in reference to Caramel/Crystal Malts?

No. Because caramel malt = crystal malt.

There is also cara 20 belgian style and carahell a german crystal malt,as well as cara red a medium German crystal malt
Cara gold- verylight british crystal malt
As well as caramunich and even crystal rye
Even:cara- light british crystal malt

yes thank you jonmohno, I am aware of those plus a few others, but on the new belgium website they specifically list "caramel" so I dont know maybe it's just an error on their page. Also the ABV doesnt add up either.

here is the text from the 2 below page...

Pull on your wool socks and crack open a 2° Below Ale. This tasty winter warmer started life as a small batch beer brewed for the Al Johnson Uphill Downhill a telemark ski race in Crested Butte, Colorado. The Uphill Downhill celebrates the exploits of Al Johnson, letter carrier extraordinaire, who delivered mail by ski in the late 1800 s. Dry hopping during fermentation creates a floral nose with a hint of pepper and spicy, subtle undertones. 2° Below provides a bright, hoppy palate and a cheery warm afterglow.

Just the facts Ma'am...

ABV - 6.6%
IBU - 32
Calories - 200
Hops - Target, Sterling, Liberty
Malts - Pale, Munich, Caramel, C-80, Carapils, Victory
OG - 18.3
TG - 2.4

Caramel malt and crystal malt are synonyms, except that some maltsters use the former term to describe the darker shades. I'm guessing their "caramel malt" is a darker shade of caramel/crystal malt, with more of a caramel-like flavor to it, such as C120.

Back