What should I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I put up a poll on my blog but figured Id get more responses this way. I'm trying to decide between 4 different styles. Two of which Ive done (Stout, Lager) and two I haven't (Sour, German Altbier). Has anyone brewed an Altbier before? Any tips you can give? What's a good example I might be able to pick u[p at the store? I've done really well with Stouts and folks seem to really enjoy them, but I've done quite a few at this point. Only done one Lager and it turned out pretty good. And being as its cold now its much easier to control the temp.

If you want go vote or just leave a response if you have the time. As always, I appreciate the input and knowledge of all fellow brewers. CHEERS!

An alt would be perfect! A sour too, as it'll take a year for the sour to be ready, but start with the alt!

I did the Kaiser's alt a while back, and loved it!

8 lbs 9.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 88.90 %
15.5 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.07 %
1.6 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.03 %
2.00 oz Spalter [2.60 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

20 min Protein rest Add 9.63 qt of water at 145.6 F 131.0 F
45 min Saccrification Rest Add 4.82 qt of water at 197.7 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Decoct 5.58 qt of mash and boil it 169.0 F
(2 step infusion with decoction mash-out: protein rest : 54 *C (131 *F) for 20 min saccrification rest : 65.5 *C (150 *F) for 45 min mash-out : 76 *C)

Kai's recipe called for 27 IBUS of spalter, but I was short (only 2.6%AA) so .5 ounce tettnang was added. You definitely don't need two different kids of bittering hops!

Is there another beer that is similar to this? I don't think they have that in my area. I haven't seen it at least. I do like the look of this recipe though.

Oh and Im a big Eagles fan and have to say your profile picture is scary as hell. That man is a beast. I was unfortunate enough to be at the playoff game last year. As far as you know, does GB plan on loosing a game this year? Its almost not fair right now.

Oh and Im a big Eagles fan and have to say your profile picture is scary as hell. That man is a beast. I was unfortunate enough to be at the playoff game last year. As far as you know, does GB plan on loosing a game this year? Its almost not fair right now.

I'm telling you, Clay Mathews is amazing! He's so hot! Long flowing hair, muscles all over the place, and a nice guy besides. I've got such a huge crush on him.

Alts are available commercially, but I haven't seen any "big" name ones release them, at least that I can think of. Well, maybe Widmer has one. Some local breweries around Wisconsin have them- like New Glarus, but they don't distribute out of Wisconsin at this point.

I will have to go on a beer adventure this evening. We have some real good beer stores around here. Seems like ever since Dogfish head has really taken off there has been an influx of good micros. Dogfish Brewery is 45 mins away. I've spent many a day there.

I was going more with the Clay Matthews is a human wrecking ball angle, but to each their own. :)

I was going more with the Clay Matthews is a human wrecking ball angle, but to each their own. :)

You are such a guy! :D

Any girl wouldn't be THAT impressed with the wrecking ball angle, although I have to admit that's pretty hot also. I'm just pretty shallow and think he's cute.

Back