Summer Cucumber Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beer sounds great. After you've had a chance to carb and taste "proper" definatly post in the recipe section.

I'm curious to know if you detect any honey flavor, and if no, do you think more light DME or sugar would suffice? Do you think having honey flavor in there would be a detriment?
I have used honey a couple times, and only detected any actual honey flavor once, so I'm curious as to your reaction.

Well, honey is so highly fermentable, it's hard to get the flavor to come through. I used it mainly as a gravity booster, and for a little aid in drying/crisiping the beer. The gravity sample I took didn't have much of a honey taste, but I will see when it is carbed.

You have my word that I'll attempt this recipe, but only after your bottles are nicely carbed and you've had the chance to properly taste the end result. I'll probably add a little more honey or other sugar for a little more ABV. Anything less than say 5.5% is a little too light for me. Light and crisp beers I tend to drink way too fast.

You have my word that I'll attempt this recipe, but only after your bottles are nicely carbed and you've had the chance to properly taste the end result. I'll probably add a little more honey or other sugar for a little more ABV. Anything less than say 5.5% is a little too light for me. Light and crisp beers I tend to drink way too fast.

I 100% agree with you on the "too light" front, however, I actually brewed this for the purpose of drinking fast. I honestly created this batch with poolside and shorelines in mind. This is my replacement to BMC. lol.

Any news? I plan on doing a half batch of your recipe, but with a little more extract to boost ABV. Looking at getting it going on Saturday. Have you sample a carbed bottle?

I'm drinking it right now. It's actually amazing. :) The cucumber is VERY upfront and there is little left to the imagination. It is DEFINITELY a cucumber beer, but it is also highly drinkable and is not off-putting.

If you would like it to be a subtle cucumber flavor, I would recommend lowering the cukes a bit. However, I cannot eat a cucumber, and I think this is a GREAT beer.

I'll take a picture of the next one. She sure is purdy. ;)

Very nice. :)

Still, I am worried about sanitization of the cucumber. I imagine it would be fine just rinsing and dumping, but I don't want to take the chance. I also don't want to add a fifth of vodka to the secondary either.

Any other sani-lutions?

What if you soaked the cucumbers in vodka and then drained off the vodka before adding the cucumbers to the fermenter?

(I'd have to give that vodka a taste testing also after)

I'd say you'll want to keep that vodka. The cucumber infused tequilla I made is tasting really nice. It's just Cuervo Gold, but it's not bad even just to sip at this point. At least that vodka will make some great cocktails.

My plan for doing a cucumber beer is to just throw the peeled and seeded cucumbers into the fermenter once fermentation is over and there is a good alcohol level. But now that I'm thinking about it, how would a sour cucumber brew be?

I'd say you'll want to keep that vodka. The cucumber infused tequilla I made is tasting really nice. It's just Cuervo Gold, but it's not bad even just to sip at this point. At least that vodka will make some great cocktails.

My plan for doing a cucumber beer is to just throw the peeled and seeded cucumbers into the fermenter once fermentation is over and there is a good alcohol level. But now that I'm thinking about it, how would a sour cucumber brew be?

If you're careful about how you prepare the cukes, I don't think there's a big chance of infection. I just went ahead and dumped them in. But I cut them with a sanitized knife, sanitized hands, and a sanitized cutting board.

Sour cucumber? Now that's stretching it. lol

I just cuk'ed half of my 10gal batch of american wheat. I used 3.5 lbs in with a couple campden tablets. I'll let it sit until i finish off the first 5 gallons and then give it a try.

I just cuk'ed half of my 10gal batch of american wheat. I used 3.5 lbs in with a couple campden tablets. I'll let it sit until i finish off the first 5 gallons and then give it a try.

Hell yeah. 3.5 lbs will be an upfront flavor for sure. It won't be overpowering though. Fresh, clean, delicious!

Let me know how it turns out!

Hell yeah. 3.5 lbs will be an upfront flavor for sure. It won't be overpowering though. Fresh, clean, delicious!

Let me know how it turns out!

It's delicious! This will be a early summer staple, for sure! I ended up only leaving it on the cukes for about 3 days. I tried a sample and pulled it off as i was satisfied.

Very upfront cuke nose and a nice subtle flavor.

Thanks for the inspiration.

It's delicious! This will be a early summer staple, for sure! I ended up only leaving it on the cukes for about 3 days. I tried a sample and pulled it off as i was satisfied.

Very upfront cuke nose and a nice subtle flavor.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for trying it out! This is what brewing is all about!

I am going to attempt a cucumber Citra Saison. Maybe a little coriander and a touch of black pepper for complexity. I just want to make sure the cukes shine.

Man, first someone sends me searching for figs and now cucumbers. I have a feeling I want have a "normal" brew going for a long time.

Zalf said:
Man, first someone sends me searching for figs and now cucumbers. I have a feeling I want have a "normal" brew going for a long time.

Actually, what I have been doing is brewing two batches at a time. I do one "normal" beer like a Hefe or Brown Ale and then I try one funky, interesting brew. I really enjoy the creative brews but it's nice to have the every day drinkers for sure.

I hate to necromance a thread, but I'm brewing this up today. Gonna steep some Carapils and Honey Malt, as well as add an extra pound of light DME to the original formula. I'm pretty excited for the end result of this one.

Good time to bring this one back to life, I still haven't tried this one yet but would like to.

Yes, I'm fermenting a blonde in primary that I'll be moving to secondary with cukes next week. Sounds delicious!

I am also working on a cucumber Citra Saison. Brewed last night and will rack to cukes in a couple of weeks

Thanks to whoever pulled this outta the vault! I'ma try it for my next batch! How long would be good in the secondary? Wish he had posted a pic of the beer in a glass! lol - Would have liked to see it.

What would be a good kit beer to try and add cukes too?

Also, when would you want to add your honey for the recipe posted on the first thread?

bowman, I added honey at the 30 minute mark in the boil. Any American Wheat kit will work well for this.

I took fg after being on the cukes for 5 days, and the sample tastes fantastic. The cucumbers are noticeable mostly on the nose and add a refreshing quality. This is all noticed on a flat sample! I can't wait to get this carbed up in the bottles. I just need to drink another 6 pack and I'll have enough bottles.

I do feel that because of my yeast choice (notty), and possibly pitching it with the temp being a little on the high side this beer has quite a few esters . If they hold consistent through carbing, I think the phenols will actually work in this one.

bowman, I added honey at the 30 minute mark in the boil. Any American Wheat kit will work well for this.

I took fg after being on the cukes for 5 days, and the sample tastes fantastic. The cucumbers are noticeable mostly on the nose and add a refreshing quality. This is all noticed on a flat sample! I can't wait to get this carbed up in the bottles. I just need to drink another 6 pack and I'll have enough bottles.

I do feel that because of my yeast choice (notty), and possibly pitching it with the temp being a little on the high side I have some phenolic tastes in this beer. If they hold consistent through carbing, I think the phenols will actually work in this one.

How many pounds of cuccs did you use? I'm about to pick up some stuff to make this recipe (or at least something similar - I have some Munich malt to get "rid" of :) )

I'm thinking 1 - 1.5 pounds of cuccs.

Blackmuse said:
How many pounds of cuccs did you use? I'm about to pick up some stuff to make this recipe (or at least something similar - I have some Munich malt to get "rid" of :) )

After reading the entire thread, I decided on 3 lbs of Cukes. I am racking onto them today or tomorrow.

Okay! Quick question!!!

For those that have done this: did you just steep the carapils or do a mini-mash? I hope to get a quick reply as all I seem to find on this forum about carapils is MIXED debates about steeping and mini-mash.... I have never mashed and don't have 2-row malt so I was just planning on steeping from cool to till the water starts to boil.... Will I be alright to do so?

I went with 2.5 pounds of cucumbers.

Also, I steeped the carapils along with honey malt from cool til boil.

Bottled this today after a week on cucumbers. That makes one week in primary, one week on cucumbers in secondary. In sampling this today, it has a mega amount of esters. I'm hoping this clears up a little bit. The cucumbers are still present on the nose mostly. I'm not sure why the esters are so amplified in this. I used Notty, and the highest the temp got was when I pitched, and that was at 68*. In the primary it maintained a constant 66*. I did actually use Northwestern Weizen Extract (as it is all the LHBS offered for wheat extract). However, I do not see how this could produce any more esters.

CucumberCitra.jpg

I cannot even begin to describe how good this smelled. The Saison that I am racking over the Cukes is fantastic on it's own. I expect this beer will be PHENOMENAL!! :ban:

That sounds disgusting!

So don't brew it?

I was planning on brewing up a wheat infused with cucumbers one of these days. Got the idea one night while in the local watering hole enjoying a wheat when i saw a cucumber flavored vodka...I got the bartender to add a splash to my beer. It was pretty tasty!

i think this is a great great idea, i dont know how it would taste no matter how hard i think, but cucumber is somewhat related to squashes and pumpkins i think, so it makes sense

Bottled mine on Sunday, exact recipe is:

2lb Light DME
3.3 lb Wheat LME
8 oz. Honey (30 min. mark)
1 Oz. Cascade
Unmeasured amount of coriander (very little)

Nottingham Dry Yeast

1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary on 2.5 lb of cukes.

I couldn't help myself, and I popped one open this evening. Even though there is only a very very small hint of carbonation and it hasn't had much of a chance to bottle condition, it is tasting very promising. The cucumbers show up very nicely right up front, and add a very refreshing quality to this. They play nicely off of the crisp nature of the base beer. I've got some esters that I hope mellow out with some bottle conditioning, but it wouldn't ruin the beer if they hung around. Can't wait to pop one once they are fully carbed.

Bottled mine on Sunday, exact recipe is:

2lb Light DME
3.3 lb Wheat LME
8 oz. Honey (30 min. mark)
1 Oz. Cascade
Unmeasured amount of coriander (very little)

Nottingham Dry Yeast

1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary on 2.5 lb of cukes.

I couldn't help myself, and I popped one open this evening. Even though there is only a very very small hint of carbonation and it hasn't had much of a chance to bottle condition, it is tasting very promising. The cucumbers show up very nicely right up front, and add a very refreshing quality to this. They play nicely off of the crisp nature of the base beer. I've got some esters that I hope mellow out with some bottle conditioning, but it wouldn't ruin the beer if they hung around. Can't wait to pop one once they are fully carbed.

Sweet! I'll be brewing this this weekend (last weekend didn't happen (too busy)) but I'll be munich malt rather than wheat so I assume mine will be very different! I will however do it again with wheat malt sometime this summer! Looking forward to it!

Glad yours seems very promising! :) I wouldn't mind the esters so much myself. Looking forward to your update in a few weeks!

I tasted mine yesterday after 6 days in secondary. As predicted, the Citra was up front and the Cukes were a bit in the background. Fabulous mix though. I decided to leave it for one more week to see if it would make a difference in getting more Cukes in the nose. Kinda doubting it with the strong Citra going on but.... Either way it will be fabulous. I almost racked it to keg yesterday, I liked it so much, I just thought I would experiment. This will absolutely be gorgeous for a sunny and hot June afternoon.

Back