New mill or chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm torn. My mill is worn out. I have to crank it by hand and sometimes it loses it's catch and I have to stir things up to get it rolling again. PITA! But, I could always buy pre-milled grain.
I would also like a chest freezer for fermentation and storage purposes. There are a few well priced ones on Craigslist in my area (about the same as a new monster mill 2).
What to do, what to do.
Also, what's a good size, in terms of cubic feet, for fermenting one carboy and stroring at least one-two cornies?

I would go with the freezer first. It cam make the biggest difference in your beers. Get the mill later.

I have a 10 cu ft freezer and can fit 2 carboys and one keg in at the same time.

Ed, that's how I was leaning since my mill does still work. Just not very well.
And mojoe, that's good to know. One of the freezers available on CL is 10 cf.
I have a temp controller for my outdoor-pos-free-from-craigslist-energy-eating fridge.

Do you have a LHBS near you? If you frequent them for some stuff they may let you bring your grain in to mill if your mill goes. But definately the freezer and temp controller are you best bets, especially going into the summer months.

Freezer. This will affect your beer quality alot more then a crusher would. Besides most of the time you can buy the grains already crushed

Finally, someplace to store all the bodies! 10 cu ft of delight.

Freezer-01.jpg

Freezer-02.jpg

Potentially, but the cost of mailing it in would be too high to make it worth while.
Freezer's in perfect shape though, so I'm pretty stoked.

Back