Holes or slits in dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumming102

Reaction score
Made a "dip tube" today for my boil kettle and am at an impasse as to whether to drill small holes on the underside or use the dremel and make slits for the pickup.

What do you guys think? I mostly use a hop bag but sometimes throw pellets in without.

(excuse the ****ty solider job. Was my first time)

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

Parts list (Cost somewhere in the range of $25)

All the tubing and fittings are 1/2" copper
9- 45 degree fittings
1- "T" Fitting
1- 90 degree fitting
1- 5' section of 1/2" copper tubing (gives you extra to make mistakes but can be done with 4" if needed.
1- 1/2" NPT threaded male to 5/8" compression fitting to attach to your weld less fitting for your ball valve

All of the short sections in the octagon are 4" except where the "T" is. I just eyeballed the sizes for the T section. Your measurements will vary on the riser to get to your Ball valve so giving you mine won't help. Just MAKE SURE YOU DRY FIT EVERYTHING (like in the first pic) BEFORE YOU SOLDER! Use a sharpie to mark where your pieces need to line back up to is the easiest way I've found to keep all my pipes straight. Will take a pic of the slits i cut later but they are just evenly spaced every half inch and cut with a cutting wheel in my dremel. Use a bench vise to steady the piece to get the best looking cuts.

Awesome "dip tube." I have to make one now. It should work out beautifully when you whirlpool. How long did you make each one of those eight straight pieces?

I suggest going with the slits. That's what I did for my false bottom manifold in my cooler MLT. Slits filter better, and you can have more of them. I spaced them all 1/2" apart.

Took about 2.5 hrs over the course of the morning here at work (I was bored).

Took about 2.5 hrs over the course of the morning here at work (I was bored).

I guess I didn't word the question correctly. How many inches is each length of copper tubing? I guess what I'm asking for are the dimensions of the manifold.

Anyone else prefer holes?......In their dip tubes I mean.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

I guess I didn't word the question correctly. How many inches is each length of copper tubing? I guess what I'm asking for are the dimensions of the manifold.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

i have a 12" hole in the top of my kettle so I made it 11.5" acrost and each tube is 4" long.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

I just have a simple pickup tube in my boil, in my mash I did slits with a dremel for the pickup and I am adapting to a HERMS the return manifold will have holes.

If you have access to a drill press and time to spare I would do many TINY holes, otherwise I would do the slits.

Slits are probably easier to create than holes because of the convex shape of the tubing. If you have access to a drill press, then drilling the holes wouldn't be as difficult as using a handheld drill... I guess. Slits with a dremel would still be easier, IMO. Just clamp the manifold to a bench and it will take no time. Also, make sure to do the slits or holes on the bottom of the manifold.

Here's another thread where this was discussed... sorta.

I just have a simple pickup tube in my boil, in my mash I did slits with a dremel for the pickup and I am adapting to a HERMS the return manifold will have holes.

If you have access to a drill press and time to spare I would do many TINY holes, otherwise I would do the slits.

I was thinking about doing this same thing for my MLT Keggel but am scared of stuck sparges. Like this because of the savings but scared of the sucks.

I was thinking about doing this same thing for my MLT Keggel but am scared of stuck sparges. Like this because of the savings but scared of the sucks.

I've been using the slit cut manifold in my mash for at least the last 15 batches, none has stuck yet. Since it already exists I am keeping it place for my HERMS system, if I develop an issue, I shall replace it with something else.

I really like this style pickup. Also like it as a Mashtun over a false bottom. Probably much cheaper. About $21 from my local Lowes worth of fittings. I see a 5' peice of copper would be enough, 9 45°s, 1 90° and a "T" fitting. The the Male thread fitting and a 90° in the coupler

Yea I really like this and will prob re-create this for my mash tun I make next as well. if was a fun project. Went with slits and with the level it's installed at It leaves only about 2 cups of fluid left in the kettle.

Will type up the parts list in a sec

I used a miter saw to make slits on the manifold I made for my mash tun. It was very quick and easy and has worked great. Some grain gets in, but not enough to get a stuck sparge.

I say slits.

Great idea, the only suggestion I would have would be to not solder it all together and maybe try to make each fitting out-of-round slightly so that it dry fits snug. This would enable you to take it apart easily and clean it without hassle and still be able to stay assembled on its own.

i am a little late to the party, but i would think that holes could be placed more in the center of teh dip tube on the bottom which would result in less wort loss. As soon as air enters the system, the syphon is broken. since slits go ~ 40% through the copper, you will lose more volume than drilled holes in the bottom, center of teh tube.

The tube is so far down the loss is negligible anyway. As far as cleaning, there ain't much that would need cleaned that a good oxyclean soak wouldn't take care of.

I'll take pics of the slits in the am.

Back