Favorite Bittering Hop for IPA's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Was wondering what is your favorite hop for bittering an IPA? Maybe someone with the the know how could start a vote?? I am going to do my first IPA soon, something like Coronado Island IPA or Racer #5 and debating on using Centennial, Columbus or Magnum. I have looked at a lot of recipes and see a lot of variations. Heard the Magnum is good for bittering IPA and want your input.

:rockin::rockin:

p.s currently drowning sorrows in beer after my Buckeyes lost again :(

magnum, centennial, chinook are mostly the ones I use. Now and then in low IBU batches I'll just use Cascades or Willamettes...but then again my LHBS sells hops @ $2 for 2oz. so price is not an issue.

not many people know about that Coronado brewing company, you a SD local? anyway, any of the big Cs work great for bittering, Magnum as well, just pick a recipe, the bittering addition doesn't add much "flavor" anyway, it's bittering (debatable, I'll probably get blasted for the statement, but there are only a few hops that I can tell it was used in the bittering addition.

Columbus is a great one. Already mentioned, it's the "C" in the CTZ

Columbus
Tomahawk
Zeus

Chinook is a good one as well. It is more piney evergreen.

I use Columbus, because I got a deal on 1 lb bags of pellets a while back. Bought several bags.

I'm a big fan of Galena. Pretty neutral flavour so it gets overshadowed by the flavour and aroma additions so you still get the flavours you wanted out of your beer.

I know it was not on your list of choices, but I really like Nugget for a bittering hop. Have used it several times for dry stouts as the only hop. Very clean profile with plenty of bitterness.

I usually use a high alpha hop.
I try to chose one that complements the late addition hops. Hops like Summit and Magnum are very high alpha and so require much less hops for the 60 minute addition. This cost less money and I lose less wort to hop matter in the kettle. I worry much more about what hops I use for late additions and dry hops. These have a much bigger affect on the final beer than the choice of bittering hops does.

Craig

I use Magnum to bitter almost any American style beer, and Phoenix for anything British/Irish. I change things up with the late additions depending on what flavors or aromas I'm looking for.

ANY hop can be a good bittering hop.

I judge bittering hops solely on cohumolone levels now. The higher the cohumolone, the sharper the perceived bitterness. For example, Warrior and Chinook have higher levels, where Amarillo doesn't. All 3 of those hop varieties are relatively similar alpha acid levels.

In a finished beer, the bitterness is going to be much sharper with a higher cohumolone level than one without.

Just something to pay attention to.

ANY hop can be a good bittering hop.

I judge bittering hops solely on cohumolone levels now. The higher the cohumolone, the sharper the perceived bitterness. For example, Warrior and Chinook have higher levels, where Amarillo doesn't. All 3 of those hop varieties are relatively similar alpha acid levels.

In a finished beer, the bitterness is going to be much sharper with a higher cohumolone level than one without.

Just something to pay attention to.

I see someone else took notes while reading the latest BYO, huh? :mug:

Back