Hole for my thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
Ok, I am anal about temps, not that can do a lot about changing them, but I just have to check them... A LOT!

This is why my humidors all have glass tops...gotta see the temp and humidity.

Back on topic....If I were to drill a hole just big enuff for my dial thermometer to fit through in the lid of my bucket, would it be ok for, lets say, 5 days. I would leave the thermometer the whole time, then after that, I would place a stopper in it.

Tim

Instead of drilling a hole, I'd use a "stick-on" thermometer. This costs just a couple bucks, and you don't have to worry about another hole in the bucket where the nasties might get in.

Fermometer: $3.50

Instead of drilling a hole, I'd use a "stick-on" thermometer. This costs just a couple bucks, and you don't have to worry about another hole in the bucket where the nasties might get in.

I have one on it right now 2 things

1. it is in a rubbermaid tub for the water bath, so I cant see it unless I pull it out of the water.

2. the water has screwed it up I think. All at the same time it reads 76/78 68/70 and 62/64.

Tim

Back on topic....If I were to drill a hole just big enuff for my dial thermometer to fit through in the lid of my bucket, would it be ok for, lets say, 5 days. I would leave the thermometer the whole time, then after that, I would place a stopper in it.

Tim

I've thought about the same thing as well...for one thing the strips (if they aren't waterlogged) don't accurately measure the actual temp of the liquid at the center of the fermenter, just at the plastic wall...

As long as you sanitized the probe of the thermometer, and it was long enough to reach into the beer, it would be fine....You might want to consider putting a rubber grommet over the hole you punch (like where the airlock goes) they make them even smaller....that would make for a tight seal and keepi anything from getting in...

You could also consider then getting one of those digital thermometers with the long cable and probe (and waterproof like on that one thread with silicon tubing.) and go that route...

I'm interested in hearing your results!

Put a long copper thermowell in the lid and insert a close-fitting remote probe digital thermometer. That way you can completely seal the hole and easily sanitize the tube when you sanitize your bucket.

On the other hand, sticking a sanitized long stem dial thermometer probe through a drilled rubber plug crammed into a hole in the lid will do just as well, I'm sure, at much lower cost and bother.

Ok, I little more detail on my plan.

I have on of the 12" dial thermometers from MW. I want to drill a hole just big enuff for it to fit in. Place it in the hole leave it there for the first 5 or so days of fermentation. Then I will remove it, stop up the hole, and continue on my way.

With the co2 blanket, then the Alcohol, do you think this will be an issue?

Tim

Ok, I little more detail on my plan.

I have on of the 12" dial thermometers from MW. I want to drill a hole just big enuff for it to fit in. Place it in the hole leave it there for the first 5 or so days of fermentation. Then I will remove it, stop up the hole, and continue on my way.

With the co2 blanket, then the Alcohol, do you think this will be an issue?

Tim

Not if you sanitize the probe of the thermometer before hand, and I would still put a small grommet in the hole to make a seal...but I don't see anything wrong with your plan...in fact I would like to know what the differential between the fermtape on the outside of the fermenter and the core tep during fermentation actually is...we figure between 5 and 10 degrees...so I can't wait to hear your results.

One question...any idea how far down into the wort the 12" probe would reach?

One question...any idea how far down into the wort the 12" probe would reach?

All the way to the end of the probe.....:D

Really, in my pail I would guess not more than 6 inches, or at least thats what she said....

Tim

...If I were to drill a hole just big enuff for my dial thermometer to fit through in the lid of my bucket

I had the same idea a few weeks ago.
I got an 8" digital thermometer and epoxied on a short piece of 3/8" copper.
Then I drilled a 1/2" hole in the lid (A brad-point bit works best, IMHO)
and installed a 1/2 x 3/8 rubber grommet.

A #00 stopper from the LHBS fits the grommet.

I can post pictures later.

What is the advantage of a grommet? Wouldn't a plain drilled stopper in the hole be just as effective?

I've never used a bucket for fermenting, so I really don't know much about them.

Latest posts

Back