4 thermometers, 4 different readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I was running a test of my new RIMS set-up and wanted to check the accuracy of my controller's temperature read out. So I placed a second thermometer in the MLT. There was a 5 degree difference, so I added a third. It too was different, and so I added a fourth and it was different as well. They all were in a six degree range and as the temperature changed they would get closer or further apart within that range. But six degrees in a mash temperature is huge!

Suggestions? I can work it out with an ice bath but what a pain. I also don't know if it is possible to calibrate a Ranco controller.

Calibrate your thermometer. Equilibrate a container of icewater and stick a thermometer in there, and have kettle of water at a vigorous boil. Since they should be 0°C and 100°C respectively, you'll find out which one is most accurate. Or you could use these results to create a two point calibration curve to correlate the temperature you read to the actual temperature.

Bike N Brew said:
Brewpastor asked us for equipment advice? :eek:

Surely the apocalypse is upon us!!

That's what I was thinking! I feel like a babbling idiot when the BP speaks of brewing and equipment. I don't even understand most of what he says!!!!!

With all those thermometers, don't you have a cheapie lab thermometer? I'd be willing to bet that would be the most accurate.

Oh, BTW, check your FD pillar, whatever that is! ;)

Aside from calibrating thermometers. I've had that same problem in brewing and its not just the thermometer because if I take the same thermometer and stick it into the mash in different places I've had readings over a 10 C range. This persists no matter how well I stir the mash and its not a predictable gradient like colder towards the outside or hot at the top or bottom. My method has always been to go with the highest temp to avoid denaturing the enzymes and my beer has always come out about right in body and fermentables.

Bike N Brew said:
Brewpastor asked us for equipment advice? :eek:

Surely the apocalypse is upon us!!

"And the next seal was opened, and what seemed to be a voice of wisdom spoke saying, 'Do not brew with wheat or dry yeast.' And suddenly there was chaos and a deep fog rose up within the forum, and hot air flowed forth from all corners, with much wind and little substance, and in the midst of the fog I saw a mechanical horse, silver and stainless. And its rider held four thermometers in his hand, and the rider cried out,saying 'The accurate measurement of fire and the determination of ice is beyond the means of mortals!' And the rider was called Brewpastor." -Revelation 6:18

Brewpastor said:
"And the next seal was opened, and what seemed to be a voice of wisdom spoke saying, 'Do not brew with wheat or dry yeast.' And suddenly there was chaos and a deep fog rose up within the forum, and hot air flowed forth from all corners, with much wind and little substance, and in the midst of the fog I saw a mechanical horse, silver and stainless. And its rider held four thermometers in his hand, and the rider cried out,saying 'The accurate measurement of fire and the determination of ice is beyond the means of mortals!' And the rider was called Brewpastor." -Revelation 6:18

Now that's what I call Scripture!

I use a ThermaPen from ThermoWorks. It gives you a digital reading in about 3-4 seconds. It's super fast and very accurate.

Chiller3.jpg

Oh yeah, it works great on checking temps on BBQ, chicken, turkey, steaks, pork tenderloin, etc.

Brewpastor said:

Does anyone else read this and get a vision of the coolest beer label ever?

No? Just me? OK, sorry for the interruption....

Most of the thermometers they sell at the LHBS are off, same with some digitals ones, I had a similar experience 4 or 5 reading differently, one was almost 12 degrees different, that would wreck a batch of beer. I recently picked up a lab quality one, and that helped straighten things out, including my adjustable dial face miljoco's. I can be frustrating.

Back