Very sour recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently have come across sour brews and find them extremely delicious, where I recently relocated to I am having a hard time finding any to purchase. I am hoping to find a good recipe for a very sour beer. From the sours I have tasted priorly, I find the more sour the better. All help would be appreciated. Or possibly even a been in production that I might just be able to search for a clone. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Have you tried the recipe wiki? Good place to start. To buy commercial a good package store should have some lambic or gueze available.

Do you want funky sour or just mouth-puckeringly sour? The first kind is time-consuming and kinda complicated. The second kind--which I think is what you're asking for--is quick, really easy, and can be made for under $10 worth of ingredients. It is much easier to make in hot weather, however.

Kingwood-kid, yea the mouth-puckering sour is more what I am looking for. Would you happen to have a recipe on file, or possibly able to point me in the right direction? Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

You could try sour mashing

Sent from my XT1034 using Home Brew mobile app

Berliner Weisse is a common sour mash, quick and easy beer. There are several approaches to it, just check the recipe section or search for the style and you should find plenty of info. For more complex sour beers, check out Flanders Red and Oud Bruin styles. These can take a year or more to properly develop, but can be fantastic beers you might not have thought possible at home. Lambics are in the same boat but are often more focused on the funk than the sour. Maybe if you list some commercial brews you like, it would help narrow down what specific style you want to pursue. Welcome to the forum!

Back