New to this whole thing! Couple of Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAbs

Reaction score
First off, hows it going, found yall from a link on Jeepforum. I am super ambitious about this whole thing, as I have this kit I'm looking to order.
http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_MaestroHomebrewKitwithAmberAleKit.cfm
I wanted to skip the Mr.Beer due to some bad reviews. Ive been reading this forum up and down for the past 3 days my brains in a cloud. I was reading the thread entitled, "The stupidest comment on your beer" and felt pretty stupid as I have asked several of those comments, so go easy. Ok so:
1. SWMBO, RIS, BIL, etc. What on earth do they stand for and if there are any other acronyms I should know that'd be awesome.
2. Can I put a filter or screen over my fermenter prior to pouring the wort and water to help get a clearer beer at the end bottling process? (I ask due to reading some comments on here about the residue at the bottom.)
3. Places state that ale yeast is comfortable in the low 70s? So leaving my fermenting bucket in my garage at school would be stupid and off limits?
Theres more but ill start with those!
Thanks guys.
-Jim

3. You're better off in the mid-60's for most ales. You'll get beer in the low 70's -- heck, you'll get beer in the low 80's -- but the warmer you go, the more you'll get spicy and fruity flavors in your beer. If you've ever had a German (or German-style) hefeweisen, full of clove and banana flavor, that's all warm yeast.

2. Your best bet, at any stage -- moving your wort from the boiling kettle to the fermentor, or moving from the fermentor to the bottling bucket -- is to let the beer sit a while, so the sediment settles, then carefully pour or siphon from the top down, so you get the clear beer at top, but stop before you get too much of the dregs.

1. Type "acronyms site:homebrewtalk.com" into google.

1. SWMBO stands for some worms mate before orgasm. Haha jk, that one you gotta find out on your own, but a search will yield the result pretty easily. I believe BIL is brother in law and RIS is Russian Imperial Stout.

2. Yes you can, just make sure it is clean AND sanitized.

3. Ale temps vary by yeast strain but the mid 60's is probably about right. Remember that is fermentation temp, not ambient temp. Ferm temps can get anywhere from 3 to 10 degrees warmer.

1. SWMBO stands for some worms mate before orgasm. Haha jk, that one you gotta find out on your own, but a search will yield the result pretty easily. I believe BIL is brother in law and RIS is Russian Imperial Stout.

HAHA...good one! SWMBO is one that is forbidden for us here to reveal. Wont take long to figure it out, though. :D:rockin: WELCOME!!!

HAHA...good one! SWMBO is one that is forbidden for us here to reveal. Wont take long to figure it out, though. :D:rockin: WELCOME!!!

Haha ya like that? I think there is a thread somewhere on here where someone asks what it means and there are all kinds of creative responses. I wish I could remember it. Maybe something to do with acronyms.

I use paint filters to filter wort from kettle to fermenting bucket. Professional paint supply stores should carry something like this picture. It's made to fit a 5 or 6 1/2 gallon bucket. Since it's post boil contact it has to be sanitized.

PaintStrainer.jpg

She who must be obeyed!? The wife figure, girlfriend, ball and chain, shadow, dictator Etc?!

I am probably wrong, but thanks alot for the welcome and advice. More to come.

I use a dual layer fine mesh strainer perched on top of my fermenter to pour wort & top off water through. Pouring in a circular motion makes the liquid come out the bottom of the strainer like rain,aerating it. Then us a plastic paddle to stir roughly for 5 minutes to mix the wort/water well & aerate some more. 66-68F is a pretty good temp for the average ale.

Latest posts

Back