Adding ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
He recipe calls for fresh ginger 0.3 ounces. Should it be peeled and then just one .3 ounce price or shredded or chopped or smashed in a food processor?

When I made ginberbread ale, I used about 2 one-inch pieces and processed them, skin and all, with some water to get the job done. I didn't skin them because they were going into the boil for 10 minutes, so no need.

For a strong ginger flavor when making ginger beer, I'll peel it, then slice it thin on a mandolin into X number of discs. Boil the pieces for 15-20 minutes and strain when dumping the wort into the fermenter. The final product keeps some of the heat from the ginger if you want it that strong.

For a strong ginger flavor when making ginger beer, I'll peel it, then slice it thin on a mandolin into X number of discs. Boil the pieces for 15-20 minutes and strain when dumping the wort into the fermenter. The final product keeps some of the heat from the ginger if you want it that strong.

On my list for next year is a strong, burn your tongue, ginger beer. How much do you add to get the heat? I was thinking about 3 to 4 oz of fresh.

On my list for next year is a strong, burn your tongue, ginger beer. How much do you add to get the heat? I was thinking about 3 to 4 oz of fresh.

When I make a batch that's HOT I'll use 4 oz in a 3 gallon batch. I also age it fairly long (about 2 months in the bottle) as it diminishes over time. Drinking it right out of the conditioning phase tastes nasty, but once it mellows and melds with the other flavors, it's pretty tasty. Assuming you like ginger, of course. I use young ginger root, too, as I find mature ginger root a little too earthy.

I'm guessing there was about 2-3 oz in my 5 gallon batch and there was distinct ginger aroma but no ginger heat.

To use ginger, simply cut some discs, cut the peel off the discs, then finely dice it. Quick and easy. I recently used 1 tsp in a pumpkin beer at flame out and the ginger seemed rather pronounced.

That's what I did. I wasn't sure if I had to sterilize it or anything. Just dipped in vodka

The amount of ginger really depends on the ginger itself. I have fairly mild, young ginger available fresh, and I have to use a lot to get strong ginger flavor that lasts without fading.

By a lot, I mean two pounds for a 5 gallon batch. It was delicious.

Mine was a wit so only needed half an ounce of ginger just a hint

Back