Reinforcing a Refrigerator base for Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I have acquired a 20 cf fridge that will easily hold 3 fermenters. I've got a general idea of what I can do to reinforce the refrigerator floor using plywood & some 2 X 4s, but was hoping to hear from anyone who has done this already. With 3 fermenters, I'm doubt the plastic inside would be strong enough by itself to hold that much weight, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, let me know your ideas and/or post pics of your setup. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure I have any pictures handy, but I used a scrap of 3/4" OSB and a couple 2x3 scraps for the legs. It has a little sag from holding 30+ gal of beer and getting wet a few times, but does what it was intended to do. I also removed the molded plastic panel from the inside of the door and replaced it with 1/8" hardboard, which allows me to fit 4 carboys or 6 1/6bbl or 1/4bbl kegs.

Edit: Here's the build for my original ferm fridge. It was killed by packrats, but my current one was modified pretty much the same way.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Converting-a-fridge-for-fermenting-beer/

Awesome! exactly what I was looking for. Should give me a bit of confidence to finish this thing up. I appreciate it.

Here's what I used.

This is my kegerator ... used two sheets of 3/4" plywood covered with stick-on vinyl tiles for easy clean up.

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

And here's my fermentation chamber ... 1"x2" poplar slats.

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

Wow! That's nice. I've got a spare roll of linoleum laying around, should work perfect!

Back