Why is it so expensive to ship beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
I recently did an extract clone of the Alaskan Smoked porter, but have never tried the original beer, so I ordered it online along with Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig and Fat Tire. These are all beers that are not available on the east Coast. The shipping and taxes for four bottles was $28. WTF? Why is it so damn expensive? I'm guessing that California charges all these crazy taxes for alcohol being shipped out. I would've thought that 4 bottles would have been half that.

I paid more for shipping than the cost of the actual beer. Did UPS all of a sudden get expensive? I can't imagine that 4 bottles weighs a lot.

Up here in Alberta Canada,my local craft beer store will bring most anything I ask for.

We can't get Pliny the Elder on the East Coast for some reason anywhere. I guess they say that these smaller west coast microbrews don't have the capacity to produce for the demand. It's a beer that I'm thinking of doing a clone of, so I wanna try it.

Back