Tasting notes of a 137 year old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I finally decided that 2012, would be the year I would taste a most remarkable bottle of a beer. A beer so special it was brewed for Sir George Nares( a British naval captain) who in 1875 set off to reach the North Pole.

By the later half of the 19th century, Samuel Allsopp's and Son, had already become one of the largest breweries in England and only second in size to Bass Ale in Burton on Trent. In 1852, on a rescue mission to discover the whereabouts of Sir John Franklin( another British explorer) , who had set off in search of the fabled Northwest Passage, Samuel Allsopp had created a monster of an ale called "Arctic Ale". This ale was brewed to 1.130 OG, and was thought to contain some special "Antiscorbutic" properties( containing vitamin C) to prevent scurvy, which was the fatal downfall of long voyages at sea.

Allsopp's Arctic Ale , was brewed only three times in all of the 19th century, once in 1852, again in 1857 , and finally in 1875. Since special brewings like this are so rare, it would be almost impossible to obtain a sample in the day, yet alone 160 years later. To date, only 3 noted beer writers have even sampled tastings and wrote about this beer, Alfred Barnard in 1889, William Henry Beable in 1926 and CAMRA's Roger Protz 2010 ( for which I arranged a bottle for Roger to drink and write about).
Of the 3 brewings of this extreme 19th century beer, there exists only 2 bottles of the 1852 batch, I own one, and the other was the subject of a great Ebay story, back in 2007. The 1857 batch, I own the only known bottle left, and of the 1875 batch, there are only about a dozen left, I own 2, and the rest are in the National Brewery Centre Museum in England. I found the dozen bottles while in Burton giving a talk to members of CAMRA on the history of Allsopp's brewery.
In 2010, the old Allsopp's brewery was in bad shape and about to become apartment flats, it had been abandoned since the 1980's and workers where throwing many items away. I was lucky enough to take one "last" tour of the building, and it was deep inside the basement, tucked away in a cage, that I found the last remaining bottles of Arctic Ale. The 1875 version was the only ale bottled in a Champagne style bottle the brewery ever produced, there is even an article in the British Archives mentioning the bottles and how many where left in 1886. Further verification came from an old retired brewery archivist, whom confirmed their existence and authenticity.
The basement find:
40869_1523380537261_1617049177_1317776_2398734_n.jpg

The Old Allsopp's Brewery 1856 :
DSCF0049-1.jpg

DSCF0047-1.jpg

In March of 2011, I had been contacted by beer author Roger Protz to accompany him in a tasting of the Arctic Ale, with head brewmaster Steve Wellington ( Worthington Museum Brewery) and some senior members of CAMRA whom I am friends with.

Along side the 1875 version, where a bottle of 1902 Bass& Co. "king's ale" , brewed in conjunction with King Edward the VII, and also a Arctic Global Warmer style Barleywine (15% abv) from the "North Cotswolds" brewery.

Here's some shots from the day:
Steve Wellington and his assistant

Tmp00121.jpg

Roger Protz, beer author and CAMRA mega star:

Tmp00139.jpg

Tasting glass from 1902, 1875 and 2006:

Tmp00133.jpg

1875 Arctic Ale - not my hand BTW

Tmp00125.jpg

Here are Roger's notes on the ale:

"It was dark amber in color and had an astonishingly complex aroma of dry chocolate, cocoa powder, molasses and vinous fruit. The palate offered creamy malt, sweet fruit and further chocolate and cocoa hints, followed by a bittersweet finish with dark fruit, rich malt and light hops."

I have been a vintage beer collector, brewing re-creator and beer historian for almost 7 years now and have been lucky enough to own some of the rarest beers in the world. I also own a few of the Bass corkers, like Ratcliff Ale 1869, Prince's Ale, Princess Ale, and Bass #1 Barleywine, as well as several 1902 King's Ales.

So, a recently decided to share a bottle of the 1875 brewing with some very good friends on a very cold winter's night, with visions of steering a Victorian ship right up to the North Pole with Arctic Ale in hand !

Of course no good ale goes without a finely prepared meal and we chose a menu fit for the occasion.

Rib Roast !

P1131942.jpg

Yorkshire Pudding !

P1131943.jpg

Roasted Potato's and Asparagus:

P1131948.jpg

Then it was time for desert ! WAIT FOR IT !

Man,that had to be the greatest stone groove in the world!! I'd love to have gotten a sample of that. I love finding info on old ales too. Positively enchanting sir! I looked up the info (thanks to revvy for the 1st part) & brewed my take on the old #3 Burton ale. What I read said it pretty much died as a style about 1890. Not sure how true that is. but we had some for Christmas,& that sweet bite was pretty darn good. Even better last night. Rusty dark amber color,bit of toasty,caramely sweetness. Nice hop bite,some 2-3 finger head & good carbonation for 2 volumes. Def strong ale territory at 6.8%. That looked the meal to go with that dark ale as well. Love to see & hear more about such things,good job m8!

The time to taste had arrived !

P1131956.jpg

As carefully as I could, I tried to remove it in one piece, but then again this is a 137 year old bottle ......

P1131975.jpg

Mush....soft cork !

P1131979.jpg

With a little care ( and a knife !) , I was able to remove a core in the center and the ale started flowing !, oh the smell of old beer !

P1132000.jpg

Amazing aroma's of leather, cedar wood , smokey dark fruit , raisins and slight musk. I took nearly 10 minutes simply smelling and enjoying the various aromas that where set off as I swirled the glass, this was history in a bottle !

P1131994.jpg

A proper cheers and the light of candles made the experience delightful !

P1132005.jpg

1875 Arctic Ale - Samuel Allsopp's and Sons

Type/Style: - English Strong Ale/Barleywine /Burton Ale
Bottle : 750 ML , natural cork, full fill , no label

Aroma;
Leather, cedar wood ( wet) , dark fruit, raisins, musk, Sherry, almost no hop aromas

Appearance :
Clear, but not brilliant, deep Mahogany Brown with ruby highlights and hues on the glasses edge...

Flavor:
Strong malt and sherry flavors, fully and across the whole tongue, finishes smooth without any unpleasantness or sourness. Licorice and maybe even old taffy.

Mouthfeel :
Completely still , no detectable carbonation , not slick or creamy , simply like sherry or brandy , no cloying whatsoever despite it's high residual saccharine content an finishing gravity.

Overall Impression : An amazing experience of drinking a bit of history, this ale was extremely drinkable 137 years after bottling, other than the musty and oxidized nature ( which is typical) of such an old ale, this ranks up there with the best of them. I have had 15 year old ales that where in much worse shape, for this age, it was simply amazing to experience !

Amazing story and excellent pictures. Truly a unique experience, thanks for sharing your adventure! :mug:

I'm guessing that the cork damaged most of the flavor, but I suppose that's just part of the experience overall. Are they leaving the rest of the bottles there in the basement, or was something done to the ones you didn't drink?

That's just amazing. The very special beer, a delicious looking meal suited to it, and what looks to be good friends and family. Those are the kind of nights we live for! Thanks for letting us share in the experience if only just a bit!

Can I ask what something like that was worth? Just for curiousities sake.

Even with your description, as detailed s it was, I couldn't imagine what something like that tasted like.

Thanks for the great story!

I think this goes a long way to establish that certain beers can be preserved successfully for a long, long time, and will still be amazing when opened. Congratulations! Also, a perfect meal and atmosphere to complement the tasting.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Also, did you guys ever get around to making the documentary on your travels into Canada?

I wonder if the guy thought his batch was bad and revvy's great-great-great g'pa said "don't dump in, ij 137 years those off flavors will mellow." :D

Great story and pictures. :mug:

Can I ask what something like that was worth? Just for curiousities sake.

Even with your description, as detailed s it was, I couldn't imagine what something like that tasted like.

Thanks for the great story!

Bottles like this are super rare, and I can't imagine what it would bring in the market. For the bottle that inspired my journey, it's best to read my blog on the details, knowing that the sale never went through, and the other bottle resides in Tulsa Oklahoma to this day.
The Arctic Ale Story of 2007 « Arctic Alchemy

But you drank it instead of selling it,awesome! And it didnt make you vomit! Im definatly not a bloody meat guy,that almost made me vomit...

But you drank it instead of selling it,awesome! And it didnt make you vomit! Im definatly not a bloody meat guy,that almost made me vomit...

Me neither, I ate the ends, definitely a medium-well kind of guy here!

I drank a 137 year old beer, didn't vomit or get sick in any way, and didn't sell the beer ....that would be wrong ! :)

I would drink the contents of the cutting board with great relish, but then I like my meat still twitching. I can only dream of the joy of that brew.

You went and did it, eh!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

:mug:

(I just wish folks would quit being scared of doing this. Every time someone finds a bottle, or we post a thread like this, people always seem surprised that "You didn't vomit or anything" or wonder if they should try it?" You know folks don't hesitate to drink a vintage bottle of WINE do they? People spend bookoo bucks on them. Yet if we find a vintage beer, or a bottle of homemade mead/wine/cider, people always see frightened of it. How many time to we have to repeat the mantra "Nothing Pathogenic Can Grow in....." before folks get it, and instead of being afraid, get excited about drinking history.)

You went and did it, eh!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

:mug:

(I just wish folks would quit being scared of doing this. Every time someone finds a bottle, or we post a thread like this, people always seem surprised that "You didn't vomit or anything" or wonder if they should try it?" You know folks don't hesitate to drink a vintage bottle of WINE do they? People spend bookoo bucks on them. Yet if we find a vintage beer, or a bottle of homemade mead/wine/cider, people always see frightened of it. How many time to we have to repeat the mantra "Nothing Pathogenic Can Grow in....." before folks get it, and instead of being afraid, get excited about drinking history.)

Thanks Revvy !

Absolutely right, and it was terrific, talk about a "Born on date " :D

Look at it this way, we all have 5 senses: sight, smell, feel, hearing and taste. You can visit a museum and look, or maybe touch something old, listen to a vintage recording, and if you where lucky enough, maybe smell the inside of an ancient Pyramid... Only alcohol is something we can truly taste from the past, no food product would safely survive this length of time, it's the only thing from history we can experience by taste, and it's remarkable.

Wow, very cool. I'd have been as interested to go inside the brewery as to drink the beer, though. Too bad it's torn down now.

I was actually referring to Revvis find, and how he had stated with one of the 48 yr old bottles,he or the other guy almost vomited.Oxidation and autoalysis are real not myths.They sometimes happen.
I was referring to the vomiting out of taste.Kinda like the 48 yr old bottle?

I once thought I understood the definition of envy . . . now I finally do!

It must have been a delight tasting such an exquisite product of history. Thank you for taking us along for the ride (as best you could!)

Truly remarkable.

What happened to the rest of the bottles? Were they put back or are they being kept in an archive of some kind? Is there such a thing as a beer archive? haha...that would be awesome...

What happened to the rest of the bottles? Were they put back or are they being kept in an archive of some kind? Is there such a thing as a beer archive? haha...that would be awesome...

The rest of the bottles are now on display in Burton on Trent, in the National Brewery Centre, in England there are definitely beer archives and curators.

Welcome to The National Brewery Centre

mrbowenz said:
Thanks Revvy !

Absolutely right, and it was terrific, talk about a "Born on date " :D

Look at it this way, we all have 5 senses: sight, smell, feel, hearing and taste. You can visit a museum and look, or maybe touch something old, listen to a vintage recording, and if you where lucky enough, maybe smell the inside of an ancient Pyramid... Only alcohol is something we can truly taste from the past, no food product would safely survive this length of time, it's the only thing from history we can experience by taste, and it's remarkable.

That is technically not true about alcohol being the only thing from history we can taste. Since you bring up the pyramids honey from them thousands of years old can still be tasted safely. Granted humans didn't make it so it doesn't have the same story to go with it like these beers do. But it is still would be really awesome to taste something that is all most as old as written paper language.

Anyway I really enjoyed the story. But I defiantly liked the history behind them more than the description. Even though I am torn between the enjoy as a beverage or enjoy in the bottle as a part of history. I would probably fall into the enjoy it as history camp. Regardless its still cool.

Edit: Also you can taste a lot of things from history depending on how adventurous you want to be if you don't care for taste or safety. I am sure that the ancient bog man might not taste as leathery as he looks. And the frozen mammoths of Siberia might make an interesting steak if there is a big enough part still left.

Back