Question about Frozen Meat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Next weekend I'm smoking a Boston butt, as some family are coming to visit for Halloween. Yesterday I was looking in the freezer for something else, and I found it there, frozen like a rock.

I appreciate that my wife wanted to help me out with the shopping, but I'm irritated that she froze the meat. Not only is it going to take a week to thaw through completely, but I can just imagine the huge puddle of liquid it is going to shed as it does.

So, my question is, is this frozen butt still going to make good bbq, or should I cook it up for the dog and get me and my family a fresh one for Halloween?

Never had an issue with frozen meat (within the last month or so)... Let that baby thaw out in the fridge and apply whatever goodness you're going to.

Its not a turkey and won't take a week to thaw ;) a 8x8 pan should catch any purge it should have while thawing. If its still in cryo-vac, it won't purge much if any.

As long as it hasn't been in the freezer for six months or more it should be fine. If you can use it within 90 days you should be even better.

I'd save irritation for when crazy happens. Little frozen meat never hurt anybody.

Nothing wrong with forzen meat. It will lose a little water from freezing but not a ton. You could use this as an excuse to get an injector though. :mug:

Back