Sanitizer Life Span?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan4480

Reaction score
If I mixed up some sanitizer in a 5 gal home depot bucket a put a lid on it, how long would it stay good for?

I keep mine in a spray bottle but dump and refill it during each brew session. I would feel comfortable as long as it still foams up if stirred or shaken.

Depend on what sanitizer you are talking about, and what you mixed it with. The only one that really lasts a good long time is Starsan when mixed with distilled water (Which in a spray bottle can last months. Then Iodophor mixed with distilled (effective til it loses it's straw color, which is about 2 days.) None of the others really stay effective after you use them.

I have a small, 1gal pump up sprayer (the kind sold for weed control) that has had Starsan in it for a week. It still foams when shaken. I plan to use it again tomorrow.

I keep mine in a spray bottle but dump and refill it during each brew session. I would feel comfortable as long as it still foams up if stirred or shaken.

+1 I also re-up my starsan every brew day. Unless I get the rare chance to brew twice in one week or something. Since I've gone AG I find it harder and harder to convince the wife that my 6 hours of free time is better spent brewing beer than doing other stuff around the house...

Starsan will remain viable for months, even with tap water. As long as the pH is below 3, it's fine. I keep mine in a covered bucket and check it with pH strips. Iodophor, mix new every batch.

Back