Is my yeast toast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Im making a starter with Wyeast 1968. Expiry date is March '09 and when I took the pack from my fridge it was half frozen. Its been on the stir plate for 48hrs but theres no action at all. Am I wasting my time ?

Take a gravity reading and see where it is. Just because you're not seeing anything doesn't mean nothing happened.

In theory, even if only ONE of those yeast survived, it could reproduce and build a new culture of yeast. I'd say it is worth a chance to keep it stir plate another day or two and see if it ferments out.

Leave it to see what happens, Yoop is right. On the other hand if you need to make a starter for a beer you are brewing soon then pick up a fresh pack.

In theory, even if only ONE of those yeast survived, it could reproduce and build a new culture of yeast. I'd say it is worth a chance to keep it stir plate another day or two and see if it ferments out.

on the other hand, if only one conaminant made it in (as it surely did), you'll have that colony to pitch in your precious wort... if you let it go, make sure to taste the starter beer to see what took hold, and that it's something you want to make beer with.

I've never made a beer with toasted yeast, but I'm sure it would add wonderfully to almost any darker british style.

Latest posts

Back