Allergic rash-type reaction on hands - Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones17

Reaction score
Howdy all!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a rash on their hands from handling grains. I started to break out in this weird rash on the back of my hands and between the joints of my fingers (on the back side) a month or so after I started brewing. I thought it was just due to seasonal eczema I experience once every 5 years or so, although that usually shows up on my feet.

Anyway, I had to go like FOUR WHOLE WEEKS without brewing anything due to scheduling conflicts, and I noticed my rash started going away. Then, this weekend I brewed 2 huge batches - An American wheat using cascades, and a nice Rye IPA with amarillo/cascade combo. Anyway, on Tuesday the rash came back - WITH A VENGEANCE. This is starting to become a pain in the ass.

Not to sound like a wuss, but I work in a service related industry and I present contracts and documents to clients all the time - A nasty skin bubbling rash does not exactly inspire confidence if you know what I mean.

I used to think it was the latex gloves I use in brewing while I sanitize - however, I debunked that as during my 4 week hiatus I bottled 2 batches and used the gloves. Maybe I need to purchase some gloves to wear while handling the grain? Any one else get this?

Howdy all!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a rash on their hands from handling grains. I started to break out in this weird rash on the back of my hands and between the joints of my fingers (on the back side) a month or so after I started brewing. I thought it was just due to seasonal eczema I experience once every 5 years or so, although that usually shows up on my feet.

Anyway, I had to go like FOUR WHOLE WEEKS without brewing anything due to scheduling conflicts, and I noticed my rash started going away. Then, this weekend I brewed 2 huge batches - An American wheat using cascades, and a nice Rye IPA with amarillo/cascade combo. Anyway, on Tuesday the rash came back - WITH A VENGEANCE. This is starting to become a pain in the ass.

Not to sound like a wuss, but I work in a service related industry and I present contracts and documents to clients all the time - A nasty skin bubbling rash does not exactly inspire confidence if you know what I mean.

I used to think it was the latex gloves I use in brewing while I sanitize - however, I debunked that as during my 4 week hiatus I bottled 2 batches and used the gloves. Maybe I need to purchase some gloves to wear while handling the grain? Any one else get this?

I would ask a doctor about this. It sounds like an allergic reaction, but I'm no expert.

it could be a grain allergy, or a grain dust/flour allergy. I guess another experiment would be to dissolve flour in water and put your hands in it.

My guess would be sanitizer also. Thinks like sanitizer, disinfectants, and cleansers tend to be sensitizers. If you have a reaction to them once, it takes less exposure to cause the same reaction again. CLR gives me a similar reaction if I don't wear gloves.

Hey well thanks everyone. I will have to pick up a fresh pair of gloves to see if that helps. Come to think of it, I do sometimes just 'dive in' to the sanitiser without gloves if I need to grab something right quick. I use the 'pink stuff'. I will not do this anymore, and see if that helps. I will also use gloves when handling my grains.

Back