Very "ich" hefeweisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed a hefeweisen 2 weeks ago, and took a gravity sample today, and It has a REALLY strong odd banana taste. I know this is resulting often from high ferm temps, but its been kept sub 75 for the entirety of the 2 weeks.
The recipe is just 6 lbs dry wheat extract, 1 oz hallertau, and the safale wheat yeast. I was planning on bringing this to a party over new years, and was hoping the super strong banana taste would disapear. Any thoughts?

Banana and clove.

The very characteristics of a Bavarian Hefe.

That's normal. And one of the reasons I cringe when people suggest to new brewers to brew a hefe when they want something light and refreshing to serve to company.

true, brew a basic wheat and blend. No corriander or orangel peel or anything, Just wheat malt, maybe some 2 row, and ahop bill matching what you used in the hefe. Then just a clean yeast like Notty or Saf04. Then after ferm, Siphon into banana brew to mix.

I was totally expecting a little banana, but I'm afraid I will have to just call this a banana hefe! It totally took my by surprise. It was my 10th brew and had experienced very little fruit taste in any but this, hopefully it drops out in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help. PS: why dont I ever taste nearly this much banana is storebought hefes

I was totally expecting a little banana, but I'm afraid I will have to just call this a banana hefe! It totally took my by surprise. It was my 10th brew and had experienced very little fruit taste in any but this, hopefully it drops out in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help. PS: why dont I ever taste nearly this much banana is storebought hefes

I wonder about your temperature- you said it was under 75, but was that ambient temperature or the temperature of the fermenter? From a homebrew website:

DC Labs has finally released this highly-anticipated dry yeast selected for wheat beer fermentations. WB-06 produces estery and phenol notes typical of Bavarian-style wheat beers.

Flocculation: low
Final gravity: high.
Optimum temp: 59°-75° F

To me, "estery" means banana/fruity for sure. If it was at 75 degrees, I'd say it would be very much to the high end of estery.

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. When I brewed my hefe, about a week and a half in the primary and it smelled like week old road kill and tasted about the same. About three weeks later when I bottled, it smelled fantastic and tasted exactly like a hefe should. The banana was definitely, but a lot less pronounced than when I first tried it. Just give it some time to mellow out and I bet it will be ready for the new year.

I'm sure many here frown on the practice, but try one with a lemon slice. Made a big difference in an accidental banana hefeweizen I made in one of my earliest batches when I let me ferm temps get away from me.

I brewed basically the same thing with similar results. The banana and clove did diminish slightly after a week or two, and I probably got used to it as well.

Latest posts

Back