BB Ivan's Tripel Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamziegler

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently purchased a Brewers Best Belgian Tripel. I have been contemplating modifying the recipe a bit, and would appreciate some comments and suggestions!

Original Packages comes with:
(7 lbs) pilsen light dry malt extract
(4 oz ) carapils
(4 oz ) Aromatic
(1.5 lb ) light candi sugar
(8 oz ) maltodextrine
(5 oz) corn sugar for priming

(1.0 oz ) Kent Hops (60 minutes)
(0.5 oz ) Kent Hops (15 minutes)

Recipe claims this is for a 6.5 gal batch of Belgian Tripel. I am somewhat doubtful, as it does not seems to have enough malt. (Edit: recipe is actually for 5 gal)

My current modification:
*(8 lbs) pilsen light dry malt extract
*(1 lb ) Munich Malt
(4 oz ) carapils
(4 oz ) Aromatic
(1.5 lb ) light candi sugar
(8 oz ) maltodextrine
(5 oz) corn sugar for priming

(1.5 oz ) Kent Hops (60 minutes)
*(1 oz ) Hallertau (15 minutes)

Current plan is to do this for a 5.5 gal batch instead of the 6.5 gallons originally called for. Brewers Best included a yeast packet, but I think I may go for a wYest 1214 or similar.

I was planning to steep the grains in 2 quarts of water at 150F for 30 minutes or so, and add the DME in stages... but I have not decided how those stages should be laid out.

I look forward to comments and criticisms (and questions if I need to clarify!)

welcome to the forum!

so far, i like your modifications. good call on upping the malt.

I like using Munich in a tripel, but i usually only do about a 1/4 pound per 5 gallon batch. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out with a full pound.

what's the point of the maltodextrin?

Kent and Hallertau will work for a tripel... Saaz is always a good call, as well.

the biggest thing you could do to improve this recipe is take that dry yeast and set it aside for a different batch. a lot of your flavor on a Belgian tripel will come from your yeast. My 2 faves are Wyeast 1214 and 3787. DEFINITELY make a starter. You'll want to give the yeasties as many buddies as possible to eat up all that sugar.

If you want it to ferment dry, try adding the candi sugar 2 days into fermentation. (boil it in a bit of water first) - the yeast won't be quite as overwhelmed by the initial high gravity, and will typically finish at a higher attenuation.

EDITED TO SAY: add your malt extract in the last 10 minutes. otherwise, the malt will darken in the boil and your tripel will look a bit like an amber.

+1 on downgrading the amt of Munich and yeast substitution. Maybe think of adding a little Special B. Saaz hops are awesome in Belgians as are Styrian Goldings. For yeast also look at White Labs 500 and 550. Also, if you are really into Belgian beers make sure to pick up "Brew like a Monk".

I haven't tried it yet though :eek:

I went with wYest 1214 and it worked great. Build a starter step it up some then use a blow-off-tube. Let it sit in the primary for a month then secondary for going on 6 weeks now. Its time to bottle her!

debaniel, and Parker36... Have any recommendations on grain to use instead of the Munich? What reasons do you recommend reducing the Munich?

I picked Munich, because I just happen to have a 1 lb bag of it staring me down, and I tend to like the malty flavors it imparts... I thought that it might be subtle hint in a batch that is mostly light pilsen.

I would love to experiment with some different hops, but the brew shop I have access to is a bit stingy with the hop supply this year. The kent hops came with the kit... as a substitute for the hops the kit normally uses. (I have no idea what should be in the kit, but I assume its something more traditional.) In any case, I still have a couple weeks before I plan to start this batch... maybe I can sweet talk the lady into selling me a couple ounces of the Saaz and Styrian!

maltodextrin... as far as I can tell it add "mouth feel" to the beer. I was almost thinking about leaving it out.

8.00 lb Pilsen Light Extract (DME)
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (grain)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils (grain)
0.25 lb Munich Malt (grain)
1.50 lb Candi Sugar
0.25 lb Table Sugar (Can this be used instead of the Candi Sugar?)

1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent (45 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer (15 min)

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Pkgs White Labs #WLP500
or
1 Pkgs Wyeast #3787

I only have a 20 quart enameled pot... any advice on making this work? I also was given an Ounce of "Styrian Substitute".... advice on its use compared to what I already have?

looks like you've got a fine tripel recipe there!

yeah, i'd leave out the maltodextrin. Tripels are supposed to be very light body.

for my favorite tripel recipe, the specialty grains i use are:

1/4 lb munich
1/4 lb biscuit
1/4 lb Belgian aromatic

as for the table sugar, you can use it as-is, or you can boil it with a bit of lemon juice to make invert sugar. Check the wiki on making your own home-made candi sugar... super easy.

as for a 20 quart pot, that's plenty big. I'd steep your grains in about 1 gallon of water... after you pull those out, dissolve about a half a pound of extract and bring to a boil... you might want to add another half gallon of water to account for boil evaporation...

boil as normal, until the last 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in all of your malt extract (yep, all 7.5 pounds). Just do it 1 pound at a time and dissolve it all. You can either let that steep for a few minutes before cooling, or you can bring back to a boil to make sure everything is good and sanitized.

if you managed to get some Styrian, I'd say use it in the last 5 minutes. 1 oz would provide a nice floral aroma to go with the fruity yeast.

Enjoy - this will be a great brew!

oh, i forgot to mention - if you wait until the last 10 minutes to add your extract, it will increase the utilization of the hops. so you can use a little less.

you might be able to get by on just 1 oz of Goldings in the first addition, depending on the AA.

Are you sure its 0.25 lb Table Sugar and not corn sugar for bottling?

Correct... not for priming. I wanted about 1.75 lbs of candi sugar for the recipe, but only had 1.5 lbs. I was going to make up for the rest in sugar, but for fun I may give a whack at the invert process. I was hoping to have the Candi at about +15% of the total bill... I know I have read some place that Tripels tend to have ~20% or so Candi.

Still debating on how much dextrose to add for priming. I have some keg equipment on its way and want to have this batch keged. (This batch convinced me to finally take the plunge.)

Advice?

+1 to RC. I don't keg, but even if I did, I'd never put a tripel into anything but bottles. There's way to much going on that will change over time with a beer this big. It's a special beer style, and should be treated as such. I have one in secondary now after 4+ weeks on primary. After about three more weeks (six total) I'll bottle it and maybe break a couple out for the holidays and to check progress. I'd hate to spend the $$ for kegging equipment only to tie one up immediately for a year plus.

It's a special beer style, and should be treated as such.

Hmmm... :) I like that. Maybe I should just do it right with the 750 ml bottles, corks and cages. Just means I have space to brew something else then.

The advantage I saw for kegging was being able to let the entire batch age together. Other than having the keg tied up for awhile... are there other disadvantages?

RE: Add DME last 10 minutes...

I have never done this before, I have always boiled my extract for at least 30 minutes or so, because sometimes I get a hot break. Is this not important for the clarity of the beer?

RE: Add DME last 10 minutes...

I have never done this before, I have always boiled my extract for at least 30 minutes or so, because sometimes I get a hot break. Is this not important for the clarity of the beer?

Not for extract. Extract has already been boiled during the manufacturing process, and a true 'hot break' has already occurred.

If you are worried about the clarity (or lack thereof) in your beer, just crash cool it before you bottle it, and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how clear your beer ends up.

Alright my batch is over 1 month old, and I have moved it to a keg.

I have some odd aromas that at first I thought was hot side aeration... but now I am wondering if it isnt hop aroma.

The hops I used
Goldings, East Kent - bitter
Hallertauer - aroma
Sterling - aroma

Can anyone help describe the flavors / aroma they get from this?

Question two... I plan on aging this in the keg. My kegerator runs about 38-42F. Is it going to work if I age it cold, or should I age at higher temps?

I tried some today (been carbing for about a week) the odd aroma is there, but it is not completely unpleasant. I realize a tripel is meant to be aged, and I am confident this is just very green.

8.00 lb Pilsen Light Extract (DME)
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (grain)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils (grain)
0.25 lb Munich Malt (grain)
1.50 lb Candi Sugar
0.25 lb Table Sugar (Can this be used instead of the Candi Sugar?)

1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent (45 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer (15 min)

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Pkgs White Labs #WLP500
or
1 Pkgs Wyeast #3787

I only have a 20 quart enameled pot... any advice on making this work? I also was given an Ounce of "Styrian Substitute".... advice on its use compared to what I already have?

Has anyone tried this recipe with WLP570??

I just made the trip to the closest LHBS shop and got everything needed for this brew. Any useful info from those who have already made it?

Next day fermenting like crazy. Missed OG ended up with a OG of 1.100. Used a degassing wand to stir the heck out of it then checked OG again. This sucker is going to need some aging.

Latest posts

Back