Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is actually for a 5 gallon. You add 6 pounds 6 ounces of dme. And the grains are for steeping.

Ah, I see that now, my bad. Thanks.

Still kind of a Brew n00b and am typically just a Brew ***** but I need to be able to do it on my own. :cool:

Well update to the brew...I bought some raspberry extract, tried a lil, and decided it was a waste of money and didn't use it. The brew came out to a lil over 8.5% and tastes pretty darn good. Has a slight berry after taste with some berry aroma, over all ill try it again when I can pick some fresh raspberries and not have to use purée.

Just finished my last bottle yesterday. It went quick over the holidays and I held onto my last bottle for about 5 months. Flavor was still good with raspberry tartness and I would consider making again, but may do all grain if so.

No complaints on this recipe. I like raspberries.

I did a 5 day secondary using 48 oz of frozen raspberries, and it has a lot of raspberry flavor.

My neighbors liked it so much, that I'm brewing another batch for them this weekend.

I've been drinking my first small batch of this stuff for a few days now, and let me tell you, it is GOOD. Thick, creamy head with nice retention, big raspberry aroma right up front and taste on the finish. Smooth and pretty well balanced. Gets a bit tart as it warms, but that's to be expected with all the raspberries. Also, the color is gorgeous - mine turned out a deep, slightly hazy garnet. This one is definetly going on my "brew again" list.

to date, this is the highest BJCP score I have gotten, at 42. Need to make it again soon.

I do the brown ale as an all grain 10gal, and do 5gal with the raspberries.

Alright, going to try brewing this a second time. First go around ended in a clogged airlock and the lid blowing in the fermenter. Going to use a Carboy and blow off tube this time around. Stoked!!!

I have had blow off tube blow out as well. It was on of the narrow diameter tubes attached to the airlock.

I now use the fatter tube that fits into the carboy opening.

Started this as my first beer last night. Only made cider and mead so far. Had to add half a kilo of dextrose as I forgot to account for uk/us gallon differential when ordering DME. Had a question about after the raspberries are done though. Does anyone find it necessary to use bentonite or similar at all to get rid of raspberry bits/hairs? If so I assume you use a tertiary? Just wondered how that works if so?

Brewed this yesterday with some buddies. Turned out a little darker than I thought it would. Been in the primary for a little over 12 hours and already has a nice fermentation.

Wasn't able to take an OG. Our hydrometer broke!!!

Man...this is a pretty vigorous fermentation. Pic is less than 24 hours

image-1182914722.jpg

Man...thanks to all that blow off, I am down to 4 gallons after racking to secondary. Oh well. It's with the raspberries now. Can wait to try

Just bottled this up today. The little bit I tried was good but really tart. A lot of raspberry on the back end. I hear the tartness mellows with age.

I have read through this whole thread and learned alot about fruit beers. I made a blackberry wheat a few weeks ago but the 6 lbs of blackberries were added to the wort after the boil rather than in the secondary. Haven't tasted it yet but I loved the black cherry lambic krieg I bought at the grocery store a while back. I will definitely give this recipe a try. I like ales and I like fruit and I am too impatient to wait for a lambic to mature.

brewed this on 7/19/13, racked onto raspberries on 7/31, and bottled on 8/5/13...what a winner! like liquid raspberry. i upped the malt a bit to get to 1.060 and added a touch munich because the frozen raspberries listed sucrose, didnt want it to dry out too much. base beer ended at 1.015 so will call it about 6.5-7% abv after secondary fermentation with raspberries. just thawed raspberries from freezer and dumped them in before racking, no sanitation issues. this is the best fruit beer i've ever had- not cough-syrupy like those flavored extracts and not thin and bitter like most others. also has a lovely red/mahongany color. highly recommend this and will be rebrewing it quite a bit, thanks for the recipe!

I'm going to brew this after my Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale is out of my primary.

I went through the thread and could only find the mention of cranberries once with no feedback as to actual taste. I'm going to do a bit of experimenting and add 20oz fresh cranberries and 20oz fresh raspberries to the secondary. Perhaps it's all in the eye of the beholder, but would cranberries give this beer more of a "holiday/ christmas" feel? Or would I be significantly risking drinkability with too much tart?

Thanks, all.

I brewed a version of this recipe, but substituted Wyeast 3278 - Lambic Blend for the Nottingham Ale yeast. Siphoned off a sample at Day 8 in secondary and it was DELISH! Loyal Wife, a non-beer drinker even approved.

Strange things started happening around day 11 in secondary. Now at Day 63 in secondary with the grossest, most amazing pellicle in full bloom. Going to have to wait for the fruit to hit the bottom in order before I rack, which I understand can take up to a year!!

Strongly recommend sticking with the original recipe on this one. It's definitely an award winner.

flanders-red-6mo.jpg

@MicRoBrew1 Looks like the beginning of a pellicle. Same thing happened to mine and I left it. Developed into a ful-blown, alien-poo-looking sludge on the top. I was blaming it on the use of a Wild Yeast blend. Glad to see it has happened with the Notty, too. I'm letting mine continue to sour. Looks gross, but much like a traditional Lambic or sour, it's supposed to be a normal part of the process??

Feel like I'm taking my life into my hands, but I'll have to let you know how it turns out.

Just brewed 2.5 gallons of this. I purposefully wanted the gravity higher 1.065 because I am going to rack 1 gallon off in a couple days onto berries and WLP650 + a couple dregs of various brett beers. I'll leave the remaining ~1.5 gallon to finish the primary of 14 days, then rack onto berries as the recipe calls for.

Edit: attached a blowoff tube to the primary within an hour or so of pitching. I can tell it's going to be a beast.

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread but...

This was by far one of the most violent fermentations I've ever had. It was already forming krausen about an hour after pitching (Winsdor), and continued to pump out krausen into the blowoff a solid 30 hours later. Kept it around 64F, too. I was legitimately worried my blowoff tube would not be enough.

Checking SG today, hoping for something sub 1.030 but above 1.020 so I can siphon off a gallon and add WLP650. I plan to let it go for a solid six months before adding the raspberries to the brett batch. I'll probably back sweeten with lactose eventually to ensure it's not just a funky-bitter bomb.

Not sure, has anyone tried substituting peaches for the raspberries? (kinda hard to sift through 40 some odd pages)

Well, due to time constrains, I haven't had the time to rack this into a secondary, nor do I think I'm going to. I have some krausen still floating on top, it's pretty "unsightly" for fermentation... but then again I think I'm the only person who cares about aesthetics during fermentation. I wish it would have flocc'ed out more.

I haven't checked the SG, but it could be around 1.020. Winsdor seems to get really mixed reviews. I'm going to let it go for two weeks, check SG, if it's 1.020+, I'll go ahead and pitch brett dregs and WLP650 into half the batch and just rack the remaining on top of raspberries and cranberries.

Not sure if I'll soak them in campden or just pasteurize the berries beforehand.

Question to those who have used campden to sterilize the raspberries:

Did you need to repitch yeast after adding berries? Will the berries absorb the campden and kill the yeast? Should I just say screw it and brett the whole batch and add berries in six months?

To those who are still following, I apologize for the marathon of updates. Maybe someone finds (or will find) my process helpful.

After talking briefly with the LHBS (Learn to Brew in Moore, OK--highly recommend), I've decided to soak the raspberries in campden overnight, drain, then add to a secondary, racking the proto-beer on top.

I'm actually splitting my batches into two smaller one-gallon secondaries. One gallon is a requiem raspberry, the other is a cranberry ale. Here's my plan (for the last time):

SG is 1.018 (which is a bit high IMO). I'm hoping racking to 2d, adding raspberries/ cranberries, and warming the fermentors to 70F will help. They've been sitting at 60F the two weeks because I'm a cheap ass and don't want to turn on my heat. The Winsor did not floc very well, at all. If I need to repitch, I'll probably throw in something known to floc out well (plus the campden isn't going to help clarity issues). I've ditched the idea to sour a batch, for now.

As for the cranberry (brown) ale, I'm going to make a "priming" tea when it comes time to bottle with some of the beer, priming sugar, bitter orange, and cinnamon. I'm going for a holiday feel with the latter, could turn out terrible, who knows.

I'll take pics and upload for anyone interested.

I made this once and we bought fresh raspberries, rinsed them in the sink like we would've any other fruit or vegetable. Then put them into quart bags and froze them. The freezing if I recall correctly was recommended to rupture the membranes. After the thawed, I racked the beer into a carboy after a week of fermenting and put the raspberries in. The fermentation picked up again with the raspberries with a vengeance.

I had read all the suggestions to sanatize the fruit also but decided not to and in the end came out really well. Not sure if I just got lucky or not but I'd do it the same way again the next time.

Cranberry on left, raspberry in the middle, raspberry vodka on the right.

Little less yield than I wanted. Windsor didn't do a very good job, 1.020 SG, didn't floc very well either.

Hoping I can get it down to 1.015, if not, I'll pitch another yeast.

photo (4).jpg

I have brewed this twice now 2.5 gallon batches. Once raspberry the second time the batch was split into peach, blackberry, and regular raspberry.

My wife still liked raspberry the best but I almost think the blackberry was better. The peach was very rough at first but began to mello and taste good right about when it ran out.

I brewed the AG recipe Posted by half pint except I added zest of 1 lemon with 5 minutes left in the boil. Then added 12 oz frozen raspberries to the primary. Had noob issues with temp control in the brew. Burned the mesh bag to the botom of the pot. Got Finally got the temp right after about 15 minutes above 160 then strained everything through cheesescloth. OG was bout 1.040 so I added about a pound of honey and stirred well which brought the OG to 1.050. Racked to secondary on 36 oz frozen raspberries after 7 days with a gravity of 1.012. Took a reading today and stole a taste. Gravity is at 1.010. Will bottle on sunday or monday unless gravity is still dropping. Here is today's and last weeks pics.

IMAG0980.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0973.jpg

Here's an AG version.

Recipe: Requiem Blackberry

Brewer: Jacob

Asst Brewer:

Style: Fruit Beer

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (35.0) Add

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 5.50 gal

Boil Size: 6.30 gal

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM

Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.32 %

0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.31 %

0.15 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.37 %

1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU

0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (25 min) Hops 3.0 IBU

0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (7 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

2.50 lb Raspberry (Secondary 2.0 weeks) Misc

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Hopping is a bit different, but IBU's are the same.

Ok Halfpint... I know this thread is over 3years old and I hope your still around. A real noob to all-grain. What mash in conditions are you using? 150f for 60 mins?

I have been reading on this forum for months now without actually creating a profile. I have finally created a profile just so that I could tell everyone what a great beer this is. It just went into the keg yesterday and is not even carbonated yet but my oh my it is so darn tasty. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Ok Halfpint... I know this thread is over 3years old and I hope your still around. A real noob to all-grain. What mash in conditions are you using? 150f for 60 mins?

Anyone have any insight on this? I'd love this to be one of my first brews and all grain is what i'm set up for and the ingredients are significantly cheaper for me doing this but I dont know what temperature to mash this at.

Bottled today. Sat on raspberries for 2.5 months. Hydro sample tasted really good, although really green. I added some vanilla infused bourbon at bottling. Bottled to 2.4-2.5 vols.

Going to let it sit for 10-14 days, then cold crash.

Back