Malt in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hello all! I just joined tonight, and happy to find this forum! I am a long time grain-brewer in Ontario, Canada and wonder if anybody's got a source for malted barley. I used to get huge 40 kg bags of 2-row, Munich malt and Crystal malt from a microbrewery here who would get it from Canada malting co.. Unfortunately, the poor brewery has gone under and now I am looking for a source. This is my first time back at it for 5-10 years so I hope all the gear still works!

Thanks!
Steve

Where in Ontario? There's an active brew club in Ottawa that could help you out.

I'm with a Montreal based club and we do 2-3 bulk purchases a year from Canada Malting and/or Gilbertson and Page. :D

I've used a company based in Upstate New York (at least close to Canada) that has great prices.

They called North Country Malt and can be found at: northcountrymalt.com

North country malt is great but shipping is going to kill him. Don't foget canadian malt is going to have doulbe taxes and duty going to Canada.

Besides Canadian malt is cheaper in canada than it would cost anywhere in the US. I remember buying a 25Kg bag for 27$ CDN a few years ago.

Now in texas, that same bag cost 45$ USD localy. Huge difference.

My recomendation would be to use http://local.google.com and in the search field type "homebrew supply near <your city>" or beer supply or something. Chances are you'll find something local.

Good luck

George

I believe you can order malt straight from Gambrinus malting in BC, but shipping will probably be high. Its $25Can for 25 kilos.

Gambrinus Malting Corp
(250) 546-8911
1101 Industrial Drive RR 6
Armstrong, BC V0E 1B6, Canada

It may be expensive to have Canadian malt shipped back to Canada from America, but for anyone else who is interested North Country Malt sells 2-row Canada Maltings for $24 a 55-pound sack - that's pretty darn cheap. I don't own the company or anything, I'm just a satisfied customer.

marcobrau said:
but for anyone else who is interested North Country Malt sells 2-row Canada Maltings for $24 a 55-pound sack - that's pretty darn cheap.

Ouch- that ain't cheap! We buy that same grain at around $19. CDN through our club. That's around $16 US I think.

Denny's Brew said:
Who do you order through?

We order and pick it up directly from Canada Malting here in Montreal, no middle man. That's why I was asking the original poster if he was near us or Ottawa.

Mikey said:
We order and pick it up directly from Canada Malting here in Montreal, no middle man. That's why I was asking the original poster if he was near us or Ottawa.

I'm lucky enough to live an hour away from Gambrinus. But It would be nice to have a cheap source of pils malt etc.

Thanks everyone for their posts. I dod try googling locally, but couldn't find anything. I live in London, ON, which is too far from Ottawa. We have a Labatt's brewery here, so I know we get a fair bit of malt :)

The local beer supply place will source it for me at $1.50 per kilo for 2-row. Maybe that'll get me started, though. And I used to hear that there was a shelf life for malt and that after some time - like a year - it began to lose it's magical, sugary powers! Dunno if that's true, but perhaps starting small and expensive will be the way to go.

I went to local.google.com and put beer supply near London ONtario canada and looks like you have about 20 places near you. Some may be wine only but worth looking into.

Mikey,

I'll be in montreal this summer, where do you get your grain from?

Thanks

George

ggenovez said:
into.

Mikey,

I'll be in montreal this summer, where do you get your grain from?

Thanks

George

As stated above, we get it directly from Canada Malting.

Shipped to your door or is there a office or something there?

Phone #? addy?

Thx Mikey

George

Shipped to your door or is there a office or something there?

>>>>You have to pick it up at their warehouse. Keep in mind that they have a 10 bag (1 bag= 25kg.) minimum. Our last club order was 725kg., which was down from the one before at over 1500kg.

Phone #? addy?

>>>>>>I'm not the guy that orders/picks it up but their Montreal office is

Canada Maltage Cie LTD
Montreal, QC
H3C 2H9
Canada
(514) 935-1133
Toll Free Order Line: 1-800-522-MALT

We deal with a lady named Carole Richard.

There Is A Malting Business In Peterborough
My Brother-in-law Picked Me Up A 50lb Bag Of 2 Row Malted Barley For $50.00
If You Are Interested I Can Get The Info.
Rod

Hoppy,

You could try alo Gilbertson & Page. They're in Fergus, ON. They have regular canadian malts but also import from England and Germany. Check out: www.gilbertsonandpage.com
You can buy direct but have to go pick it up or have it shipped. I'm in the same club as Mikey and we alternately buy from Canada Malting and G&P (they have a warehouse just outside Montreal).

Cheers,
Seb

Back