Super sweet pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeland

Reaction score
So... I made my first pumpkin ale and just tried the first bottle. To my extreme disappointment it tastes incredibly sweet. Almost syrupy. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what went wrong. Also if anyone has any tips on how it can be salvaged any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3# light extract
3# amber extract
1# crystal 20
1/2# chocolate malt
2 oz. E. kent Golding hops (bittering)
1oz. Fuggle hops (aroma)
8# fresh pumpkin
4 cinnamon sticks
3 whole nutmegs
6whole allspice
London ale yeast

Mini mash + extract
Pumpkin and spices added during boil
OG 1.049
14 days in fermenter
9 days in secondary
Used 1 cup honey for priming
Has been in bottles 8 days
I opened one to see how it was coming and was really disappointed
Sorry I forgot to measure the FG

Ok just tried another one and except for the fact it was under carbed was much better. Not sure what happened to the first one.

Next year, plan on brewing your pumpkin ale in June/July. A pumpkin ale may be drinkable 31 days after brew day, but from my experience, all of my pumpkin ales don't PEAK until about 3-4 months conditioning.

I made mine this year on June 23 and served it at a festival last weekend, and it tasted like a commercial beer.

Ok just tried another one and except for the fact it was under carbed was much better. Not sure what happened to the first one.

Did you dissolve the honey enough for priming? Maybe you got a bottle with a lot of honey it.

Back