Stainless steel Vs. Aluminium Kettle for just heating up water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crzybrewer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new all grain brewing, I have brewed about 5 extract batch, so I'm still new to brewing. I'm buying somethings that I need for all grain brewing. I just bought a 20 gallon stainless kettle and I don't have another stainless kettle to heat up water in for the sparge. I do have 15 gallon aluminium kettle and I would like know if it is ok to just use the aluminium kettle to heat water for the sparge.

Not only is it OK to heat sparge water in aluminum, you can also boil wort in it!

Not only is it OK to heat sparge water in aluminum, you can also boil wort in it!

I'm not an aluminum type of guy, i perfer SS, but DJ is right, you can set the whole rig up with aluminun and still come out with high quatily beer.

You really don't need two kettles to brew all-grain. I used a single, 8-gallon stainless kettle for three years. You can use it to heat your strike, then sparge water, and when it comes times to sparge just collect the runnings into a bottling bucket. After you've collected your pre-boil volume, just transfer the wort back to the kettle. Voila.

By the way, I now have an aluminum kettle for strike, sparge water, so you're well ahead of me.

Back