What size Igloo cube for a 6 gal carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
My first beer in some time is sitting in the basement. No apparent activity for over 72 hours. I suspect the temps are a bit cool to start fermentation. I'm thinking of placing the carboy in a cube cooler and fashioning a foam lid similar to a photo of Yooperbrew's.

My carboy is 6 gallons, and I believe Yooper's was 5. The photo I saw had a lot of room, but the cooler was a huge model. I see an Igloo Ice Cube 50-75 Can Cooler at Target.com. It's out of stock, but the price seems good (for my next brew, I guess).

Will a 6 gallon carboy fit in there comfrotably with room for ice bottles? Anyone have this one?

I can fit a bucket easily in a 60 qt igloo from walmart... not what you asked, but for what it's worth....

Can you get the diameter of your bucket? Maybe I can compare to my carboy.

I see lots of posts for these for mash tuns, but not a whole lot of info on using them for fermentation temp control.

I have a desk air conditioner, which puts out a pretty pathetic stream of cold air, but I think if I piped it into the space between the cooler and carboy, it could give me a decent cooling. And a Brew belt would do for warming.

I just received a 70 qt. Ice Cube cooler from an off-shore seller through Amazon. My understanding is that it will fit a 6 gal. carboy with the same type of lid that Yooper's has.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

I've got a 60qt igloo ice cube and my 6.5gal carboy fits fine -- just had to make a few modifications to the underside of the lid to allow the top portion of the carboy to fit snugly -- also have my airlock ported out. I use no larger than 32oz. (usually 20oz) water bottles to cool my brew, but I don't think a full size 2 liter would fit with the carboy in the center of the cooler.

I hope this helps..

Back