Getting wort into primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I used to just pour my wort into the primary once it had chilled (carefully as to not disturb the trub). I did this to aerate the wort and then I would pitch the yeast. I see more and more people siphon the wort to primary. What's the consensus on here on this topic?

Pouring is a fine thing to do. I stopped because once I started doing full boils, I'd spill WAY too much. The siphon does, however, make avoiding all the crap in the bottom of the brew pot easier.

If you siphon, though, you'll have to do something else to make sure the wort is aerated. This is the one time that you don't want to rack quietly. I'm going to try out a little $2 gizmo to make the stream of wort into a spray, but I know an aeration system of some kind is in my future.

I've started dumping through a large funnel with a screen/strainer in the center. Catches any "trub" from the bottom of the brew pot, but still allows the wort to splash around while entering primary.

I also aerate for 5 mins solid with a large, sanitized stainless spoon. Basically I just stir the crap out of it and cause as many bubbles of O2 as possible to get into the brew. Last fermentation started withou a starter in probably 8 hours.

I have fitted a 10mm coper pipe to my Keggle, with holes drilled in it to aerate on it's way.
Seems to work fine.

spigotandfiller.JPG

aerate.JPG

fillingcarboy.JPG

Latest posts

Back