Gas Cooktop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaghettiMonster

Reaction score
So I’m looking at buying a new house and of course one of the options is a gas cook top. Checking them out online the burners run any from 5,000 BTUs to 17,000. Does anybody know what would be a good minimum? (taking into consideration beer making)

If it was me I would be looking for an area away from the kitchen to do my brewing. Outside patio/deck, garage, basement. Indoor kitchen is filled with problems especially if you want to go with bigger batches. 17,000 btu burner is tiny compared to an outdoor propane burner or ng burner. Going electric is also more efficient.

I've been brewing since I started with the propane gas cooktop in our kitchen. The largest burner (where I put my brewpot) is about 8,500 btu. It will boil a full 5 gallons in my 30 qt SS brewpot.....just. I'm talking about a small bubbling boil, none of your rolling volcanic boils. I achieved a somewhat better boil by insulating my SS brew kettle. If you can go 10K btu or larger, I suggest that you do so. I'm moving outdoors shortly to do my first AG brew......quite a step up to 185K btu.

Thanks for the info. I plan on eventually on moving to brewing outside. Until we move in and get settled and figure out what all the cost are though we are not spending any extra money. I figured come Thanksgiving there will probably be some deals on Turkey Frys and I can get a burner and pot around then.

I don't know, but I've been doing all-grain in my kitchen and wouldn't change it for the world; I live in a townhouse, and outdoor brewing would be a much larger PITA.

Luckily, I have a large kitchen equipped with a Wolf range that will bring 7 gallons to a boil in about 50 minutes from tap temperature, but I'm not sure what the specs are for the burners.

Back