Failed attempt at brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
So seeing as how I ruined my atttempt to brew today before it started I think I need some other stories so I don't feel so bad.

I decided lastnight that I was going to brew the Heather Ale instead of the Belgan Wit, so I busted the smack pack and stuck it on top of the fridge.
After cleaning the kitchen in prep of brewing and bottling I went out to get a few things. Upon returning home and gatthering everything to start brewing I realize I don't have the heather tips. I could have sworn I grabbed them even tho I was going to get some fresh tips.
I suppose I could brrew the Belgan (after getting some honey) and let it sit untill the yeast is ready to go. But I guess I'll just bottle 12 gallons of wine and 10 Gallons of beer then go jump out of a perfectly goodairplane instead.

Ruined is when you try to drain the first runnings and nothing comes out, I mean NOTHING! Then you open the tun to give it a stir and find a tar-like, 42-pound "bran muffin". My brewing partner had purchased four pounds of rye flour, instead of flacked rye. We finally dumped it & went back to the store for more makings.

I make a list and check things off when I'm there to be sure I got everything. But I agree with David. Your a far cry from "ruined" :D Take two homebrews and call me in the morning:)

I think I've had a few more than two homebrews. So I guess ruined isn't quite the right terminology, but this definately isn't a brew day.
Other than my mead, i no longer have anything in a secondary (ok, so technically since I've transfered the mead three times that's not in a secondary either)

I suppose I could brrew the Belgan (after getting some honey) and let it sit untill the yeast is ready to go.
If you are using Wyeast smack packs they are usually good to pitch in 3-4 hours after smacking..I usually pull them out of the fridge and hit em right before I start setting up.

D*bo, did you post a recipe for the heather ale anywhere? I've been thinking about making one, but don't have a recipe yet.

Back