How do u copy a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwilko

Reaction score
Hi how would you go about trying to brew (copy) a particular beer? Like I seem a thread were someone is trying to brew Pilsner Urquelle

Well....you need to find out what malts and hops they use, then experiment with the ratios of malts and the hop schedule.

Just Google "[name of beer] clone" or "[name of beer] recipe." If someone has come up with a clone, you should be able to find it. If you're looking for Pilsner Urquell, you'll be in luck - there's even a specific Pilsner Urquell yeast.

Word of warning: Some clone recipes are way off or are nothing more than untried guesses. For some other beers, nobody has come up with a clone recipe. But, esp on this site, there are good, tried and true clone recipes for lots of good beers. GOod luck!

Word of warning: Some clone recipes are way off or are nothing more than untried guesses. For some other beers, nobody has come up with a clone recipe. But, esp on this site, there are good, tried and true clone recipes for lots of good beers. GOod luck!

a couple years ago I fell victim to just that, try to find a clone that only the person has made, but other people have made a reviewed with positive results.

Moving this out of the recipe database (which is for tried-and-true recipes) to the recipes and ingredients forum, which is for conversations about recipes and ingredients.

This is a good place to ask for clone recipe info, plus looking through the database.

Check out Podcasts for "can you brew it" on the brewing network. They walk through the cloning steps for a number of good beers and you really learn how they try and replicate the recipes. As an added benefit it really helps you learn what ingredients go well together and how to compose your own recipes. I believe you'll find this under the "Jamil show" for episodes recorded between 2010 and 2012.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info lads, I'm a bit of a novice now but I hope to develop, my favourite is a Czech beer called Radegast has anyone come actions it?

Back