Amber Imperial IPA (Inspired by Nugget Nectar Recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sybesbrew

Reaction score
Let my preface this by saying I have never had Nugget Nectar from Troegs Brewing Company. Saying that, Green Flash's Hop Head Read is one of my favorite beers. I've tried a few clones of that with two row malt, munich malt and amarillo hops but I wanted to brew a Red IPA a little different.

The NN recipes are interesting to me because they have a pilsner base malt and use nugget hops as late additions and for dry hopping.

Anyways, the point of this thread is to post my recipe. Its the first time I've posted a recipe. Please be gentle Here we go:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001 Yeast Cake from Gumball Head Clone Two Weeks Ago
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 93
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 12 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

Amber Imperial IPA (NN Inspired)

Fermentables
Bohemian Pils 10 lb 8 oz
German Vienna 2 lb 8 oz
German Munich 2 lb 8 oz
American Crystal 60L 8 oz
American Crystal 120L

Mash at 152

Hops
Nugget 1.00 oz Pellet FWH 90
Simcoe 0.75 oz Pellet Boil 30
Columbus 1.00 oz Pellet Boil 15
Palisade 1.00 oz Pellet Boil 15
Columbus 0.50 oz Pellet Boil 1
Nugget 1.00 oz Pellet Boil 1
Simcoe 1.00 oz Pellet Boil 1
Columbus 0.50 oz Pellet Dry Hop 7 days
Nugget 1.00 oz Pellet Dry Hop 7 days
Simcoe 1.00 oz Pellet Dry Hop 7 days

Cool to 68. Ferment at 68

Brewing it tonight. I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers

I know it's two months too late, but I stumbled across your post tonight while doing some research for a Nugget based red recipe that I'm trying to formulate.

How did this turn out? Looks like it'll be a pretty big beer, with a lot of pine and dank.

I know it's two months too late, but I stumbled across your post tonight while doing some research for a Nugget based red recipe that I'm trying to formulate.

How did this turn out? Looks like it'll be a pretty big beer, with a lot of pine and dank.

This beer actually turned out great. In my opinion, the best beer I've made.

Also, I brought it to a beer tasting competition (mind you a small one ~10 guys in my buddies garage) where it won the IPA category against 5 other good commercial beers.

It ended up at 7.5% (1.075-1.018). Very piney and citrusy.

I am a Troeges fan and I love nugget nectar. I was excited when I seen the thread but I am still extract brewing but I will def try when move to all grain unless I find an extract recipe.

I'm brewing a Red IPA tomorrow night. My grain bill is almost identical to yours but I have Cara-Red malt in place of your C-120.

I'm going all out on the hops: Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo and Centennial.

I love the Red IPA style. Here is a picture. I have three bottles left. Need to find the time to brew another batch.

ForumRunner_20130524_174036.jpg

Finally brewed this one again a month ago. Made a 10 gallon batch for Christmas. Accidentally added more hops at flameout due to a problem with my scale/ measuring process. Bottled it Wednesday night.

It tasted great! Can't wait for it to carb up.

Back