HBC Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
My home brew club is having an iron brewer contest. I have to accentuate 1968 yeast. Was thinking of an english ipa with mosaic? Or an ESB, have not brewed with 1968 so not a 100% what it brings to the party. Any suggestion?

I've done an apricot cream ale and a red with it. Both turned out great, and did well in competitions.

If you want to accentuate the yeast you should look into the Fullers ESB or London Pride (or do the partigyle for both). If you follow that fermentation regiment they use you really are relying on the yeast for a lot of flavors (search fullers can you brew it - listen to the podcast for info from the head brewer at Fullers).

I use WLP002 a ton, which is the White Labs equivalent of Wyeast 1968 - can use it in an IPA (search Firestone Walker can you brew it for mash info to get 75-80% attenuation), any English beer (mild, stout, bitters, etc), I use it in my APA which has done very well in competitions, it's used in American Brown Ales (like Moose Drool) - it's a very versatile yeast. I typically pitch at 63 and let it rise to 66 (or help it along) within 24 hours - ferment higher (68 or so) for more esters.

Back