Now I know what its like homebrewing in the north

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg5555

Reaction score
Im in my garage brewing right now and its 42 degrees. Only hit a high of 53 today here in VA. Unbearable. Had to put on a jacket. (fist bump any Canadians out there)

Oh, you Southerners! I almost put on a jacket today because it was 18 (above) but the sun was shining so I didn't. I did have on a long sleeved sweatshirt though, especially when I cooked on the grill.

I hate being cold, though, so I have a roaring fire in the fireplace as we speak with my feet about 1 foot away from the flames. I'm still wearing the same sweatshirt, though!

I was born and raised in Texas, so the cold was a shock when I first moved here to Connecticut. Now I'm used to it and didn't wear a jacket this morning when it was 40-something outside, but that was with no wind. Any wind I've got a jacket on me tighter than Hannibal Lecter.

I had to take my jacket off because I was too hot with it on, it was a beautiful day around these parts, high of 46

It was 24 this am, I grabbed a sweatshirt on my way out. I did have to scrape the frost of the window of the truck, which kind of sucked.

53? That's some good weather!

I like it cold more than hot. Ideal is high 60's but 30's and above don't bother me without a jacket.

Hell I've gone up to Mt. Good and gone snowboarding in a Tshirt and snow pants when it was mid 30's.

Hah, I'm originally from CT but now that I have lived in FL for the past 4 years, my blood has thinned so much that anything below 65 F is freezing. :(

Pretty mild here in the great white north today Its a balmy 0 celsius, for you Americans thats about 32f and no snow in the forcast, the hill is supposed to open dec 1st so im hoping for snow. (Oh ya fist bump)

I live is So-Cal for a reason,was born in Green Bay and lived in Wisconsin for 24 years,,,,hate the cold...but love the Packers!! Bears still suck!!

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
I live is So-Cal for a reason,was born in Green Bay and lived in Wisconsin for 24 years,,,,hate the cold...but love the Packers!! Bears still suck!!

Nice day here today. Calling for near 50 tomorrow. Doesn't seem like Nov. yea Bears still suck!

blaster_54738 said:
Hey Cheesehed we use to be neighbors!! I use to live in Eleva, just south of Eau Claire. Now I'm about an hour south of there

I'm actually in Fall Creek. Figured nobody could find it on a map. LOL. You in Black River Area?

47º right now and loving it. The ground water is nice and cold for wort chilling, and the bugs are all gone. Perfect brewing weather.

I moved to an electric rig in the basement after my first winter in the north. When spit goes *thunk* its time to consider brewing inside.

Still a little warm here to do anything more than 2 batches a month. Looking forward to the prime brewing season. I don't ice fish.. so brewing is my winter sport.

I'm in CT here also, just got the jeans out of the attic last week. Try to get to Veterans Day in shorts every year.

Brewing doesn't start to get to be a pain until about 20F. At that point I move the mash to the kitchen and the boil to the patio right outside the back door.

My wife was pleased when I repaired the patio blocks that had come loose over time. Little does she know that I only patched it up so my BK will sit level this winter... MMWHUAHAHAHAH!!!

I don't mind the colder temps - IF there isn't wind with 'em. Cold and windy will find me waiting for a better day to brew.

Yesterday was a spectacular November day here, bright blue sky, coolish but wind-free. I easily knocked out a pair of brews before the Patriots game started, an IPA with my home-grown Chinook, Cascade and Centennial hops, and a 1.116 OG imperial chocolate honey stout that I've split a gallon from to put on a feeding schedule to see where it ends up. I love science experiments! :)

Cheers!

I don't mind the colder temps - IF there isn't wind with 'em. Cold and windy will find me waiting for a better day to brew.

Yesterday was a spectacular November day here, bright blue sky, coolish but wind-free. I easily knocked out a pair of brews before the Patriots game started, an IPA with my home-grown Chinook, Cascade and Centennial hops, and a 1.116 OG imperial chocolate honey stout that I've split a gallon from to put on a feeding schedule to see where it ends up. I love science experiments! :)

Cheers!

Agreed! Same conditions down here in Groton, CT. A very slight breeze every now and then. Awesome brew day. I only did one brew, though, an Irish red for SWMBO.

We are still in the 50's and 60's here in the midwest around KC. great brewing weather. I'd much rather brew in this type of weather than any other.

One brew day last year, the garden hose had frozen and I nearly couldn't use my CFC.

MC

Wow- you have a garden hose in the winter? That would be so awesome. I'm jealous.

I brew indoors because I hate those inconveniences- no water in the winter due to faucets freezing, cold temperatures, etc. But indoors the weather is always pretty good, and I have running water! :ban:

Im in my garage brewing right now and its 42 degrees. Only hit a high of 53 today here in VA. Unbearable. Had to put on a jacket. (fist bump any Canadians out there)

Wait a couple months then come up this way and get a good dose of Great Lakes Cold. The damp kind that cuts right thru your wool coat and chills your bones. You will think 42 is a sauna

Wow- you have a garden hose in the winter? That would be so awesome. I'm jealous.

I brew indoors because I hate those inconveniences- no water in the winter due to faucets freezing, cold temperatures, etc. But indoors the weather is always pretty good, and I have running water! :ban:

Well yeah, I'm in SC! It seldom goes below 32F around here. ;)

MC

Another from WI. I'd rather brew in the winter. I have an attatched garage so I open the doors to both the house and basement, fire up the burner and in no time it's comfy. To cool the wort I put the keggle in the snow outside the door with a garden hose hooked up to the chiller. I ferment in an unfinished basement with a wood furnace. With the vents closed I keep the basement in the lower 60's. If I want to go cooler I put the bucket or carboy close to the door that leads up into the garage (not heated) and crack the door open. I can get the temps nice and low and hold them steady as long as I keep an eye on things.

It's either brew in the garage in the winter or run out of beer. Seriously, that's not an option. Although I'm finding I can't take the cold like I used to back when i was farming and was out in the weather every day. So I am on the process of setting up an electric brewery in the basement.

Cheesehed007 - I used to farm between Augusta and Foster, back in the day I drank my share of beer in Fall Creek. In the big city of Strum now.

Canadian here, Alberta. I just do the mash, vorlauf and sparge all inside then set up the banjo burner in the garage with a nice gap under the door. It's still pretty warm from the burner and since I don't have a wort chiller I just micro pore tape the lid of the pot and stick it in a nice slush bath. The surface area from the snow makes it cool a lot faster than an ice bath in the summer. :) not hard or unpleasant at all, brewing in the great white north.

Back