Can You Brew It Database

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marlowefire said:
Why doesn't the sponsor,northern brewer, package the ones that are considered to be cloned in convenient kits?

That would be a good question for Northern Brewer.

Eric

Originally Posted by Marlowefire
Why doesn't the sponsor,northern brewer, package the ones that are considered to be cloned in convenient kits?

Copyright maybe?????

barrooze said:
Probably the same reason they were forced to rename their Three Hearted Ale.

Makes sense. But since these are
From companies that are willing to share their recipe copyright wouldn't really apply. It would save brewers from buying a pound of a grain if the CYBI recipe only calls for .5 lbs.

Just seems like something they could do to showcase the beers. Maybe even charge a little extra and give it to the brewers. There's a business solution here somewhere that makes it easier but maybe a few bucks more expensive for the homebrewer and profitable for NB and the craftbrewers.

Originally Posted by Marlowefire

Copyright maybe?????

Maybe they figure that those of us that are "into it" enough to listen to the podcasts and want to clone these beers will want to brew a little more precisely than a kit allows? By the time you take their recipe, adjust it for my really inefficient system w/ lots of dead space, or your awesome 90% system, there might be a difference of several pounds of grain?

recipes are not copyrightable on their own. the ingredients can't be protected, nor can the amount of those ingredients.
however, they can copyright their process - so i suppose if the ingredients don't properly clone the beer without going through the proper process NB likely doesn't want to package a clone that without the specific process instructions doesn't truly clone the beer.
NB had to change the name because it was a a registered mark aka a trademark - you can trademark just about anything these days.

Recipes are not copyrightable, but groups of them are. At least That is what I was just told with my offerings of the first recipes in Brewing Classic Styles for BeerSmith and in .xml forms. Funny thing is, they were interpretations since the exact amounts of ingredients didn't add up to the what the numbers the program gave me said... so they were adjusted. Somehow this is still copyright infringement. Check it out.

I don't think that he's exactly right, but my limited knowledge of copyrights (IANAL, but I worked around IP law for a few years) would indicate that he still gets some protection for a recipe-as-written. More importantly, I'm sure that you want to be on the up-and-up anyhow, so better safe than sorry.

What was at issue with NB getting some legal attention was an issue of trademark (not copyright), and it's understandable that some/many breweries are wary of letting their mark get either diluted or used by someone else who is using it to make a sale.

Besides, when it comes to clones, half of the fun is seeing what you can do with the ingredients available to you. It's a great learning tool to compare your brew against a commercial version.

SkyHighBrew88 said:
Whooo hooo! Brewing Network is attempting to clone Flying Dog Raging ***** (Belgian style IPA) tonight! Love that beer...

I am listening right now, but I am at work so I may not be able to copy it down.

Eric

EricCSU said:
I am listening right now, but I am at work so I may not be able to copy it down.

Eric

I listened but the app kept cutting out last night. No podcast download available yet, did it end up being cloned? I know the yeast they used isn't available...

Any update on that raging ***** recipe? Was camping outside the world of Internet and missed the episode, but have 6 gal of my guess bubbling away and want to know how far off I am..

I repeat my request for this to be a sticky and, in addition, request that the admins then delete the (many) requests from me and others so that the thread is less cluttered.

Side note for Beer Smith 2 owners....

Most ( I don't know how frequently it's updated ) of the CYBI beer recipies are in the add-on database and contain notes from JP and Tasty.

Also many NB recipies there too.

Subscribed! And waiting on the Kern River Citra clone recipe. :)

I saw that Northern Brewer had amarillo and citra in stock, so I figured what the hell and listened to the podcast again and wrote down the recipe. Guess I'll be brewing this sometime in June.

Kern River has hard water; I didn't write down what Tasty did to his, but a normal gypsum addition for a double ipa is in order.

Kern River also doesn't do a Vorloff during the mash, for what it's worth.

Mash:
6.25 Kg pale 2-row (Briess, I got rahr since it's a lot cheaper)
350 g Briess carapils
350 g Briess Munich
170 g wheat malt
350 g Briess Crystal 10
170 g Grambrinus Honey Malt

Mash at 148 F for 1 h.

Boil (60 min):
32 ibu Nugget @ 60 min (25 g @ 10% aa)
25 g citra @ 30 min (10.5% aa)
25 g citra @ 15 min (10.5% aa)
25 g citra @ 10 min (10.5% aa)
25 g citra @ 5 min (10.5% aa)

Whirlpool 20 min (Tasty shifted the 30 min addition to the whirlpool)

Ferment: 67 F with wlp001 or wyeast 1056

Dry-hop:

@3 days (~80% fermentation; KR recommends dropping out the yeast or I guess moving to secondary at this point) 33 g citra/15 g amarillo
@6 d 20 g citra
@9 d 26 g amarillo
@ 12 d 31 g citra (let go 3 more days, then crash cool or do whatever you do)

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.010

I think that's it; it may not be the normal format, lol. You need 6.5 oz of citra and 1.5 oz of amarillo to do this. Good luck!

Just kegged my Citra clone a few days ago after brewing it about a week after the CYBI podcast was released.
I've had the actual beer at the brewery and of course without having them side by side, I'd have to say mine came out as a good clone also. Talk about fruitiness! This stuff tastes almost as much like fruit juice as it does beer.

I brewed this 2 weeks ago. My recipe is spot on with what is posted here! Good work on nailing the weights for a 5 gallon batch! I'm to the all Amarillo dryhop. One more Citra addition in 3 days then it's 3 more days until the cold crash! Can't wait! I'll try to remember to come back here to post a review on how it came out. Cheers!

I brewed this 2 weeks ago. My recipe is spot on with what is posted here! Good work on nailing the weights for a 5 gallon batch! I'm to the all Amarillo dryhop. One more Citra addition in 3 days then it's 3 more days until the cold crash! Can't wait! I'll try to remember to come back here to post a review on how it came out. Cheers!

Tomorrow is going to be day 3 of fermentation.... looking to dry hop, but there is still a huge krausen. If I dry hop, its all going to sit on top instead of in the beer. What did you do?

I let mine go ten days before starting the dry hopping. I racked to secondary on it at that point even though I usually never do. I needed room for all those hops in a larger carboy!

Just bought the enough citra for two more batches. If you want more yourself, you better act now or you'll be waiting for next years crop. I could only find it at Austin Homebrew in 1oz. quantity.

Back