Recipie Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some people say that yea get a mediciny taste from extracts. i made a rasberry wheat w/ extract and hav no idea how it tasted because every single one was drank before i could get one. the girls loved it.

grrtt78 said:
some people say that yea get a mediciny taste from extracts. i made a rasberry wheat w/ extract and hav no idea how it tasted because every single one was drank before i could get one. the girls loved it.

That is exactly what I am going for... The wife and her Sister are into Rasp. Lambic and not wanting to make a lambic I thought to try rasp. beer.

Don't know about the rasberry, but I've made the Kolsch with the Vienna and it's very tasty.

That's not a lot of hops and they're really isn't any extra hop flavor or aroma to deal with if that's your concern.

BierMuncher said:
Don't know about the rasberry, but I've made the Kolsch with the Vienna and it's very tasty.

That's not a lot of hops and they're really isn't any extra hop flavor or aroma to deal with if that's your concern.

I was told to half the hops for a Kolsh recepie from someone who has more brewing experince than I. (Don't really know why) I would imaging that sweetness and bitterness would clash.

Question... would adding fruit increase the ABV. or is that the point of adding them to the secondary? (It seems like fermentation would get going again though)

Chris_Dog said:
I was told to half the hops for a Kolsh recepie from someone who has more brewing experince than I. (Don't really know why) I would imaging that sweetness and bitterness would clash.

Question... would adding fruit increase the ABV. or is that the point of adding them to the secondary? (It seems like fermentation would get going again though)
Remember that extract won't be sweet. It simply adds the "essence" flavor of rasberry.

Yes, adding fruit to the primary or secondary is adding sugar and will continue the fermentation.

If this is your first attempt at this style, I'd say, stick to the original recipe and then "tweak" it with some rasberry to give it a not so obvious hint of rasberry.

The Kolsch recipe is mild so there is not a lot of strong flavor that the rasberry will be competing with. I'd say 1/2-3/4 Oz of rasberry extract into the secondary, then taste at bottling time and see if you need to add more.

BierMuncher said:
The Kolsch recipe is mild so there is not a lot of strong flavor that the rasberry will be competing with. I'd say 1/2-3/4 Oz of rasberry extract into the secondary, then taste at bottling time and see if you need to add more.

I second what BierMuncher said. go easy on the extract. My daughter (34) likes flavored beer. I use a qt of beer and add drops while she tastes until its right, then boost that up for the whole keg. She and her friends go through it pretty fast.:)

That makes sence... I guess adding too much will contribute to the medicine flavor as described before.

Plus it seems like it would be easy enough to add more but not so easy to take away.

Back