do i need a stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't NEED a lot of brewing related tools to make beer. You may WANT one or find it useful. Basically, a stir plate is going to provide you a more "set-and-forget" approach to building up your yeast. It makes it easier to rehydrate dry yeast and can produce a few more billion cells they shaking a starter every so often. I think its worth it, but I also spent $100 last year on a thermapen, so I may be biased on my reliance of gadgetry :)

If you haven't already, check out the book "Yeast" by Chris White and Jamil Zainisheff. Its a good read and can help with a lot of your yeast related questions.

It makes a night and day difference in yeast growth. In the mean time put it on top of your dryer when doing laundry.

great..... thanx for the heads up on the book... will check it out... thanx all...

Yes, NEED and WANT is the answer... lol

As stated above, it's not a neccessitiy however it greatly helps. I built one out of left over junk I had sitting around. As a matter of fact I had a starter on it for the past 3 days. Lots of happy yeast! If you ever plan on banking and harvesting yeast or making a large starter then it's a huge help in the process.

beerloaf

Back