Favorite octoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jklinden

Reaction score
That's right! It's the middle of summer which means it's tone to brew an AG octoberfest lager...favorite commercial brews? Favorite clone recipe? I'm looking for a magic hat hex recipe if anyone has one...

Personally like either Sam Adams or Boulevard 47, there are a couple of Oktoberfest recipes if you search it. Just depends on how you want it. From what I have read there are a few that use Ale yeast and still come out clean like a lager, never tried, but sounded good if you don't have the equipment to lager.

Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen is the gold standard for me, Paulaner, Hofbrau and Hacker Pschorr fest beers are also excellent. There is a recipe for Ayinger in Clone Brews 2nd edition

Middle of summer? Hell, mine has been laggering since March!!! :D:p

Love the Sam Adams. The Oktoberfest and their Cream Stout are my favorite brews they make.

You guys rock! And as always am humbled by your experience and encyclopedic knowledge of so many beers. Anyone had roxy rolles? Heard it was awesome...

I've always been a big fan of the Paulaner, but I've never been able to find a clone recipe. I've got an Oktoberfest in the fridge now that's been lagering since March. Guess it will be time to bottle soon...

I think Sam Adams Oktoberfest is their best beer. I prefer it over all of the more traditional German varieties I've tried but I'd guess its all in what you're used to. IMO, most of the imports have a more roasted flavor (best descriptor I can think of), whereas SA has a crisper finish.

I am a huge fan of Saint Arnold's version. No clue on a recipe though.

Did you this thread yet? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/st-arnolds-grain-bills-37573/

A quick thinking member took some shots of the grain bills at St.Arnolds. No idea of the yeast though but the general hop info may be available on their site. Being from Houston, I have to assume their using at least some RO water for their beers because Houston water is not so great.

I grew up in the Houston area. I love the St.Elissa IPA. I'm remembering drinking one at Fisherman's Wharf in Galveston where the Elissa is docked. Heaven.

89144.jpg

Hacker Pschor and Brooklyn. I look forward to Octoberfest beers and a good bowl of chili every fall... They're the beers that really got me into the sport

I still love Sam Adams Octoberfest. Octoberfest is my favorite style. Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, and Spaten are all VERY good, but I prefer the sweetness and crispness of SA. Ayinger is another great Octoberfest.

i like spaten the best (unless it's in those damn green bottles), followed by weihenstephan and hofbrau. the last 2 are the helles-fest kinda tent bier styles... and spaten's is rather light in color too. guess I'm not into the deep amber versions much. believe it or not, beck's makes a pretty good one too that I've seen on tap every now and then.

i only had sam adams o-fest once at a mariners game, and it tasted more like an american amber lager than an oktoberfest, it lacked that deep, rich malty character. it looks like i'm the only one though, that means i need to give it another go.

Bell's is my favorite. Really rich and munichy. Strong too. Warms me up very nicely after freezing all evening in my tree stand.

TwoGunz said:
Hacker Pschor and Brooklyn. I look forward to Octoberfest beers and a good bowl of chili every fall... They're the beers that really got me into the sport

I love brooklyn. Great ofest. Sam adams is more readily available and is pretty good. I didn't like the imports as much, they are so light and dry.

NuclearRich said:
I love brooklyn. Great ofest. Sam adams is more readily available and is pretty good. I didn't like the imports as much, they are so light and dry.

Yup, Brooklyn makes some decent beers but their Octoberfest is my favorite

+1 to the Sam Adams.

Last September I brewed BierMuncher's OktoberFAST. I didn't get to strut around about lagering since March, but everyone was too busy drinking it down to notice anyway. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/

It was great and I was sad to see the end of it. I'll do another run of it in the next couple of weeks and I can't wait for October.

Back