Electric Stove Top and RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Hi All,

If I have a 120V RIMS tube set up, can I crank up the heat on the PID and recirculate the wort to assist my stove top in getting the (5.5 gallon batch) full volume boil going?

Then just use electric stove top to maintain a rolling boil?

Thanks,

Chris

it will bring to a boil faster than your stove alone.

are you trying to compare partial volume boil on stove with full volume using stove+rims?

I currently use a Bayou Classic SP-10 for the boil.

But I would like to move towards a RIMS setup for better mash control, and also like the idea of being inside during the winter.

I have been doing BIAB and have a hell of a time hitting and maintaining my mash temps. Thus the idea of going to RIMS.

RIMS BIAB to start with.

Pricing a RIMS set up at this time and it is going to be $425-$500. Thats just RIMS tube, fittings, PID etc. No MLT etc.

at 120V, you can go no higher than 2000W on the RIMS. And you need a 20A outlet for that.

I don't know how powerful your stove is, so I've no idea what your total power output is. I *can* tell you that 2000W will get 5.5 gallons of water from 160*F to boiling in about 25 minutes.

If you were planning for a 1500W RIMS, then that will get the same water to boil in about 35 minutes.

Back