any body know a good recipe for a sweet mead with buck wheat honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyserpents

Reaction score
i love the taste of buck wheat honey and i love sweet mead so why not put the 2 together and this would be my first makeing of mead i have most of the suff from makeing beer and a empty carboy are 2 so im ready to give it a try are should i try a kit sweet mead for the first time any and is there some where where i can get step by step directions ty for your time and help :mug:

Well, a quick search for buckwheat will yield more than a few results; in particular, and I write this knowing that you stated that you love the taste of buckwheat honey, you will not find many (if any) fans of buckwheat mead. WAY strong flavor. A very little bit goes a long way.

I know that I'll only add a couple of ounces if at all, and only if the recipe calls for it. But, that's just me! :D

I made a traditional semi-sweet buckwheat mead last spring and it turned out wonderfully. Here's my recipe:

1 gallon batch
- 3.5 lbs buckwheat honey
- 3.25 qts filtered water
- 2g Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

I did staggered nutrient additions and didn't do a secondary fermentation. I let it ferment out fully but didn't take a FG reading. I put it into 2-liter bottles in early August.

I've blended it with Classic Rauchbier (20% honey, 80% beer) to get a braggot, and it's wonderful. Well-balanced and complex.

Have fun!

sweet ty yall for the help im going to do one soon im still reading up on how to make mead = im a nerd :D

Mead is like anything else, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Most newbs (myself included) tend to make the mistake of shooting for the stars on their first attempt, and end up frustrated because it didn't turn out like they wanted, or ended up being more work/equipment than they bargained for. If you just make a traditional mead with honey, yeast, water, and nutrient, control the temp, don't aim for ABV over 12%, it's really hard to screw it up and won't take too long to age.... perhaps 6 months or even sooner. Get a case of Grolsch from your local walmart to bottle it in. Read the stickies here and gotmead.com. Some of the posters around here and there have actually written the books and won the competitions and commercially make it for a living... many have been doing it for decades. Listen to what they say. Good luck!

Back