Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your stuff is great looking hop head!

So, who has found something that has about 18 inches of depth and overall is around 10cf?

For those of you who live next to a university or college, check to see if they have a weekly or monthly sale on old "stuff". I picked up three used Norris (now owned by Silver King) style two spout stainless steel milk dispensers for $10 each (on ebay they sell used for 250+) . They can hold a five gallon carboy, or two 3 gallon cornelius kegs, or around 4 cases of beer with a DIY shelf. I currently use them for storage and for lagering. Sadly they are only 22" tall inside so a 5 gallon keg won't fit.

Other items I have seen included an incubator (heating AND cooling capability) and most recently a scientific chest freezer. The incubator only went up to 60 degrees (down to like -10) which is a bit low in the ale department. The freezer, which I would say was at least a 15 c.u. would have been great but in had a side control box mounted to it. It was all digital and programmable, but the side box (around the size of a huge CPU) would have made my intended keezer build difficult. Stir plates and other treasures can be found as well. Lastly, at the end of the year, when they clear out the dorms, college kids leave things behind. It gets sold (fridges, kegerators, dolls, ets...) Anyway if you live next to universities, check it out. The stuff is a steal!!!!

J8D

After much searching with cash and a 10% off coupon for lowes burning a hole in my pocket I was dismayed to find out that the holiday 5cu in all the stores in my area is the one that only fits two. Instead of the hump that takes up a quarter of the bottom they all have the half bottom hump. Grrrr... no local leads on the holiday 6.8 either. Anyone able to help me out with a local way to source either? Santa Rosa, ca.

And I know, I've been trying craigslist.

Word of warning for anyone mail ordering the lowes Holiday 5cuft, it now has a full depth compressor hump. It looks like the GE 5cuft now.

EDIT: Not even sure if you can even get two kegs in without a collar!

Picked up the Holiday 7cuft from Lowes and managed to get 10% off. It looks identical to the GE 7cuft on the first page. I have ball-locks and four fit snugly on the floor. It's a squeeze but it works, not for pin-locks though. With a 9" collar you can fit a fifth on the hump. Guess what I plan to do? :D

Picked up the Holiday 7cuft from Lowes and managed to get 10% off. It looks identical to the GE 7cuft on the first page. I have ball-locks and four fit snugly on the floor. It's a squeeze but it works, not for pin-locks though. With a 9" collar you can fit a fifth on the hump. Guess what I plan to do? :D

Groove, do you have room on the hump for a 10lb CO2 tank? I'm trying to decide between this and the Frigidaire 7.2 Lowes has, but if this fits 4 ball locks, I'll use the $60 more the 7.2 costs on something else!

Thanks!

Has anyone used the haier 3.5 chest freezer as a keezer?

It's got a step inside to make space for the compressor so you are limited to about 17 inches of height from the top of the step to the lid. Just got one and was bummed that I couldn't fit a 5 gallon carboy in it.

Do you know if 2 corny kegs fit in the space below the step. it has the smallest foot print and will fit in the space i have very well

Do you know if 2 corny kegs fit in the space below the step. it has the smallest foot print and will fit in the space i have very well

You only have about 7 inches between the wall and the step so I don't think you could fit any corny kegs in this.

Ed, thanks for this..

I actually have the first one in the post, and looking to make it my new keezer..

Looks like I am going to have to make a 8" collar in order to accommodate another keg. Anyone see anything wrong with this? We have an amish guy that is going to make it out of cedar, should be nice looking..

Ed, thanks for this..

I actually have the first one in the post, and looking to make it my new keezer..

Looks like I am going to have to make a 8" collar in order to accommodate another keg. Anyone see anything wrong with this? We have an amish guy that is going to make it out of cedar, should be nice looking..

The only problem here that I see is your ownership of an amish guy.

I picked up a Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards for $198. I am convinced it is the same as the Magic Chef. I can fit 4 on the floor and 2 on the hump with a collar, or a 1/2 bbl on the floor, and 2 cornys on the hump, plus 5 lbs of CO2 with dual primary. I imagine that this would only be true with ball lock, as the kegs are pretty tight side by side when two deep. I can take pictures if it would help anyone.

Word of warning for anyone mail ordering the lowes Holiday 5cuft, it now has a full depth compressor hump. It looks like the GE 5cuft now.

EDIT: Not even sure if you can even get two kegs in without a collar!

Has anyone purchased the new Holiday 5 cu. ft. freezer from Lowes? If so, what are the interior dimensions? Do you think you could put three ball lock corny's and a 5 pound tank in it if you added a collar?

Hi, I have a chance to get one of these used. Are they an energy efficient unit? Thanks, Tyler

absolutely. chest freezers are extremely efficient. I Leave mine outside in florida weather with an uninsulated collar and I would say mine is not on for more than 3 hours a day.

Has anyone purchased the new Holiday 5 cu. ft. freezer from Lowes? If so, what are the interior dimensions? Do you think you could put three ball lock corny's and a 5 pound tank in it if you added a collar?

Using one as a fermentation chamber right now.
Inside 23" wide, 15 1/4" front to back.
Non-humped floor 15 3/8" wide, 27 1/2" tall.
Humped floor 18" tall.

In my drawing program, looks like 3-9" diameter kegs and a 6" diameter tank fit, but not sure about regulators, hoses, etc.

does anyone have a similar info layout for carboys? I'm poking around craigslist to get another, albeit smaller then my 15cuft'er as a fermentation chamber. SWMBO doesn't know the plans yet, but i'll use her love for oktoberfests to broach that subject

There is a 5 cubic foot Kenmore on my local Craigslist for $60.00 or best offer.

I would like to use it as a fermentation unit. Could I fit two 6 gallon carboys in that thing? I will draw them out and measure if I go and look at it. But if somebody already knows it won't work I won't bother the guy.

Thanks

Could I get a picture of this open with the cornies in it?

Or if someone has this one - White Frigidaire 8.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer - Model# FFN09M5HW.
I'm hoping to fit 6 ball lock and the co2 tank in the 8.8 freezer with a small collar if necessary.

Thanks,
JD

Does anyone have this Frigidaire 8.8? How many cornies can it hold without collar?

Does anyone have the haier %.0 converted to a keezer i can get one locally but would like to know if 2 kegs would fit before i buy it

A warning on a Frigidaire 5.0cf "Heavy Duty Commercial" freezer. It will only hold one corny. I picked up "scratch and dent" one and used it for food, assuming that one day I would keezer-ize it. Imagine my chagrin when the exciting day came to do the conversion and I found it just missed being able to hold 2. - unless I want to make a 2-foot collar.

As far as efficiency of a chest freezer goes, I used a "Kill-A-Watt" meter on my new (to me, ~2-year old unit from CL) Holiday 5.0 cubic foot freezer held at 45F with a Johnson A419 controller.
Looking at about $0.75 per month to run after averaging >1 week's energy use. Currently using picnic taps until I finish this - so opening more than I will when a tower is installed.

I'm trying to decide between the 7.2 cu ft. and the 8.8 cu ft Frigidaire models available at Lowes (10% off coupon, plus a $50 gift card, so might as well use 'em). Planning on four taps, but it's seeming that that's the limit of both (the 8.8 can fit 5 with a collar?)

If that's the case, I can save my money and just snag the wee 7 cu ft Holiday for $199!

Does anyone have the haier %.0 converted to a keezer i can get one locally but would like to know if 2 kegs would fit before i buy it

Don't know if you found an answer on this or not, but it may depend upon the year/model. I saw a used one and asked the seller to get me dimensions before I look at it, and using 9" diameter drawings, it appears it would fit.

Note that ball locks are thinner than 9" and taller, while pin locks are supposedly 9" and shorter.

I ferment in sanke kegs and have narrowed it down to needing a 14.8-15CF to house two kegs for fermenting and later for storage/cold crashing...does anyone do this or can anyone confirm I need this particular size for my application?

Thanks
Joe

Just scored a used Frigidaire Commercial 14.8 for $125. It is the one with the wheels already mounted on the bottom. I may race it in the next soap box dirby.:rockin:

I'm trying to decide between the 7.2 cu ft. and the 8.8 cu ft Frigidaire models available at Lowes (10% off coupon, plus a $50 gift card, so might as well use 'em). Planning on four taps, but it's seeming that that's the limit of both (the 8.8 can fit 5 with a collar?)

If that's the case, I can save my money and just snag the wee 7 cu ft Holiday for $199!

Looking at the same freezers myself. Threw out the Holiday after reading more than one of the reviews that said it crapped out after only 3 years :eek:

UPDATE: After going and measuring the Frigidaire, I found they have changed the inside enough with the new model that it would not work for me. I need to hold 3 corny’s or 2 corny’s and a 1/6 barrel, without a collar. Bought a GE 7.0 CF Model FCM7SUBWW at Home Depot. It is going to work great. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg4/R-100598963/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is a picture of the inside with dimensions.

FreezerDimensions.jpg

This is just an awesome thread, thanks for the posts! It really helped me select the model I needed, and I love mine. Great job!

The Sam's Club I went to had the GE 7.0 too, but it had a lock on the front which I didn't want to deal with, so I bought the Home Depot model without a lock. Get 10% off all the time at HD (Retired Navy), so that's a bonus.

Back