Long Belgian White Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
I brewed up a mini-mash batch of AHS Belgian White with the 1% alcohol boost 3 weeks ago. It has been fermenting in my basement at around 64-68 degrees, and it is still going. I just took a gravity reading and it was 1.016, it should have a FG of 1.010. The airlock is still slowly but steadily bubling, and the krausen hasn't fallen.

Is it normal for fermentation to take this long? I'm not necissarily worried about it. I was just hoping it would be done this weekend so I could bottle it and start another batch. (my other two fermenters are full also)

It is possible the yeast are just not done. They decide what they want to do not you. I had a cider fermented with Hefe yeast take a over month to finish. I also had an ESB take only 2 days. The yeast is not going to give off flavors even if it goes another 3 weeks. Just be patient. As hard as that is for all of us.

What yeast did you use? I did a wit using WLP400 and it took 25 days at 64F to reach a final gravity of 1.008 from an OG of 1.055.

We just made a Belgian White and it also took forever. We used WLP400 yeast. Was bubbling for over 2.5 weeks. We finally called it at a FG of 1.010

You are not that far off...anything under 1.020 is usually done, you are only 6 points away from 1.010, that's not that far off......You COULD bring it upstairs into a warmer area, which will also rerouse any yeast from the bottom, which my get them to swim around some more munching on any more fermentable sugars.

It came out very nice. I used a lot of fresh citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon) zest along with the coriander and curacao, and the aroma was amazing. This beer didn't last too long.

Back