Remove Labels with Ammonia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
Someone told me that you can easily remove labels by soaking the bottles in a bucket of water with a few ounces of ammonia.

Anyone ever tried this or had any luck?

Most of us on here soak our labels off with oxyclean and hot water.

I fill a rubbermade tub and leave the bottles for a week (overnight is usually enough) and rinse thoroughly.

star san works great for removing labels. the acidity melts the glue pretty nicely.

bleach solution also works awesome. if you sanitize with bleach make sure you rinse the HELL outta the ammonia covered bottles first. bleach + ammonia = toxic chlorine gas fumes.

I've soaked in bleach water for a few hours to sanitize/try to get labels off, the ones that were easy to get off came off no problem. The ones that were glued on pretty well did NOT. I'll try amonia or star san... I don't have oxiclean.

I use 1 cup to 4 gallons water. Let soak over night and peel lables scrub with scrub pad and rinse with hot water. Some lables a lot easier than others. Sam Adams and bud ale real easy.

I use a little dish detergent and ammonia. I measure ammonia by counting glugs -- a couple per five gallons. Most labels slip off overnight. Stubborn labels can be scraped off easily after a couple days. It works and it's cheap.

I just tried ammonia tonight. Most of the labels came off within minutes, though I suspect I mixed the solution a bit strong. But those Ace perry bottles are hard to get off. I resorted to a vegetable peeler after that.

When I first joined HBT, I heard about ammonia...bought a jug of it. However, I never used it. Oxyclean free is just so much safer.

Back