Two Words - Propane Burner!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi

Reaction score
Ok, so I was at the LHBS yesterday picking up some ingredients for an IPA...and there it was. A shiny, stainless propane burner on sale. At $72, I knew I could get a better deal at Target or something on a burner, but with gas @ ~ $5 here in California for premium I figured it was going to cost me $10 to $15 to get one. Seemed like good logic. :)

Man, what a difference those things make. I heated 6.26 gallons in less than 15 minutes. BOOM baby. Here is the one I got (http://bayouclassicdepot.com/1114_stainless_steel_propane.htm) my likey.

My only issue is that I ended up with about 4.25 - 4.5 gallons and had to run out the door right after pitching my starter and did not stay at home last night. I was thinking I would just add another gallon or so to top off the secondary when I rack it?

that's the same burner a lot of use use. I do 10 gal batches with it without any problems. I also paid only $45 for mine but it's not the stainless one.

You could just add the water to top it off right now if you want. As long as it's boiled you will be fine.

Yeah, it is kinda like homebrew bling being that it is stainless.

So, you don't see any problem adding water when fermentation is under full power? I didn't want to scare the little white fellas, figured I would just add it later. Is there a difference?

Yeah, it is kinda like homebrew bling being that it is stainless.

So, you don't see any problem adding water when fermentation is under full power? I didn't want to scare the little white fellas, figured I would just add it later. Is there a difference?

No difference. Just make sure the water is or near the same temp as the brew so that you don't shock the yeast.

Boil the water to both sanitze it but also to drive off most of the O2.

personally I might wait till the active part of fermentation slows, then you will have less chance of a blow-out. I try to minimize times I open the fermenters, so when I switched from a blow-off tube to an airlock I would do the addition then (which is just past full krausen).

Back