Best/Cheapest Kegerator Conversion Supply Site?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the rest of the stuff I need for a sanyo 4912 conversion. So where should I look for the best combination of selection, price and quality?

Kegconnection.com had the best price that I was able to find. 2 kegs, 5# tank, dual body regulator, ss dual tower, all hoses & fittings, and two perlicks for $413.

Evan! said:
Cool. Thanks. Is it worth the extra money to split my gas line with individual regs?

Its worth it, but not crucial. Most of the styles I like are similar in CO2 levels so I get by without it...

Soulive said:
Its worth it, but not crucial. Most of the styles I like are similar in CO2 levels so I get by without it...

Yeah, I'd be doing the same thing. My main concern was: what do you do if you need to force-carb one of the kegs? Do you increase the PSI and just turn the other valve off?

Evan! said:
Yeah, I'd be doing the same thing. My main concern was: what do you do if you need to force-carb one of the kegs? Do you increase the PSI and just turn the other valve off?

Usually one keg is saturated with CO2 so I can shut off the valve and serve from the CO2 in the headspace. Then I jack up the tank output pressure to force carb the newer keg for 1-2 days. I usually force carb at my serving PSI though so its not always an issue. I've found that force carbing at serving pressure makes it much less likely I'll over-carb the keg...

Soulive said:
Usually one keg is saturated with CO2 so I can shut off the valve and serve from the CO2 in the headspace. Then I jack up the tank output pressure to force carb the newer keg for 1-2 days. I usually force carb at my serving PSI though so its not always an issue. I've found that force carbing at serving pressure makes it much less likely I'll over-carb the keg...

cool...thanks...

Soulive said:
No problem. I'm so glad I went the Sanyo route. Its easy and well worth it...

Yeah, well, I'm tired that beautiful tower with the ventmatics sitting there all alone, staring at me every time I walk into my brewery. it's time they got put to use.

Evan! said:
Yeah, well, I'm tired that beautiful tower with the ventmatics sitting there all alone, staring at me every time I walk into my brewery. it's time they got put to use.

Oh you already have the tower? Then its automatic IMO :mug:

Soulive said:
Oh you already have the tower? Then its automatic IMO :mug:

yeah, snagged 'er when Forrest had that awesome clearance sale. Got the ventmatics before that, on ebay, for stupid cheap, and forrest was cool enough to remove the faucets from the tower, so that the tower only ended up costing like $80.

Hey, how long should each gas line be? How many feet should I order total, for two kegs?

edit: also, do the ball lock males and/or dip tubes on kegs need to be replaced periodically? I don't know how old these kegs are---a friend gave them to me.

I went with 10' beer lines and the gas lines are 4' or so (I haven't actually measured them).

I'd absolutely recommend a dual body regulator. I can serve at two different pressures and force carb one with the other at serving pressure. It's $30-ish very well spent if you ask me.

Just send Todd an email. Tell him what you already have, then tell him what you need. He'll take care of getting the disconnects and clamps on the lines and you won't have to mess with it.

I'm surprised you didn't jump on the drip tray offer that Forrest posted a month or so ago. I can't remember exactly how long it is, but the one I got from him is the same as the width of the Sanyo (within a couple of inches), and it was only $19.95.

ohiobrewtus said:
Just send Todd an email. Tell him what you already have, then tell him what you need. He'll take care of getting the disconnects and clamps on the lines and you won't have to mess with it.

I'm surprised you didn't jump on the drip tray offer that Forrest posted a month or so ago. I can't remember exactly how long it is, but the one I got from him is the same as the width of the Sanyo (within a couple of inches), and it was only $19.95.

don't remember ever seeing that offer...

Well, hell, even at full price the 19" is the same price as the 12" at kegconnection. Might as well wait till my next AHS order and put it on there.

+1 on the dual-regs. You can always come back later and snag a coupler+reg body+lowPSI gauge if needed, but I wished I would have just started with that setup. Ended up that only Kegconnection and northern brewer had the dual LHT coupler you need for the regs I had.

Bj at kegconnections was awesome. He helped me fix something with my list---he said nobody really needs the big worm clamps, and that even though the OD of the gas lines is 9/16", the 1/2" worm clamp will suffice. He also offered to assemble as much as he could before shipping, which is freakin' sweet.

Thanks for the hookup, OB.

Now alls I need is a fridge. Local BestBuy is out. bastards. gonna kill 'em all.

Actually, the website was wrong. Bestbuy has it. And I have a $20 off coupon. I'm leaving to go pick it up now. giggity giggity.

Evan! said:
Actually, the website was wrong. Bestbuy has it. And I have a $20 off coupon. I'm leaving to go pick it up now. giggity giggity.

Yeah, I got mine at BB and it was $170 less my $50 gift card. Alllllriiight...

Back