Trub did not settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
Just finished an AG and after the boil I used a chiller and got temp down to 68 in about 15 min. I used irish moss for the last 10 min and had after boil OG of .053. I did not do an iodine test but did mash at 151 for 75 min, but I did have 2lb of wheat with no protein rest. Any thoughts as to why the trub did not settle as good as usual? I have done wheat beers before with no protein rest and have had good settling.

Is the yeast the same? Some yeasts will flocculate less when there is extra protein around. Give it another couple weeks.

Trub did not settle in the brew pot! Usually most of it is settled after cooling, but this time still stayed suspended.

Leave it longer. I let mine settle 30-60min and get crystal clear wort. With the wheat in there you may still have some haze but the trub and hop debris should settle out.

GT

yeah plumber. Watch a TV show or two while it settles. With proper whirlpooling and enough time, you get a perfect little cone of trub.

it still makes me smile when it happens.

plumber said:
This may sound dumb, but what do you consider proper whirlpooling?
There's a section of the wiki that goes into some detail about it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Whirlpooling

My guess is that proper whirlpooling involves very vigorous stirring, and leaving the wort long enough for a cone to form. Neither of which happened when I tried to whirlpool on Saturday :(

Latest posts

Back