Memories of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
Memories of yeat is what I call this project.
One of the board members here(thank you soo soo soo verryy much) sent me some oak cubes over to Thailand so that I could try and get starters built up from them.
I have said on a few occasions that we have no LHBS here and having liquid yeast sent is very pricey and the chances of it being dead from the heat are quite high also.
The other thing is that we don't have any sour beers from which to harvest dregs,although I have managed to get starters going from Orval,Achuffe and a few others.

So the procedure was to add the cubes to 125ml each of starter wort at 1020 and try the breathe some life intot them.

the strains I am working with are BrettC, Rosalare, Brett Drie and Allagash Confluence.
After only 20 hours I had activity in the Brett Drie and after another 10 hours had some in the Brett C.
after 2 full days I had a krausen on both and snot in the Roselare.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

I took a pic of the Roselare build up last night before adding more 1020 wort and it looked strange,in a good way I hope.
Also tasted; BrettC smell and taste of English cider.
Allagash smell of dirt and oak, taste of unfermented wort
Brett Drie fruity, citrus, English florad hop smell(even thou NO hops were added) and a LONG LASTING trpical/summer fruit cordial after taste
Roselare musty old dry cheese on the nose but tart tangy lemon taste

As of this morning the BrettC was going ape!

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

Thanks,I also can't wait to see how it goes.
Third wort addition at 1030this time, going tomorrow.

Can't wait for the results. It looks like they're already off to a great start. Could be a great way to store and share bugs!

This morning,6 days after starting, I had a good look-see.
The Roselare(pic not so good) has a full thick pellicle.
The Brett Drie now also has a thin filmy pellicle.
The BrettC, no pellicle,lots of yeast settled out AND some of the cubes have fallen to he bottle?
Biggest surprise of all was that the Allagash Confluence has started to do something.

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

Here we go.
First 1gallon batch is in and raging away!
On saturday night I mashed 750gr of Vienna with 40 gr of crystal wheat at 69c for 45 minutes and sparged into the melting half 2/3 gallon of 1023 second runnings from a Munich stout.
boiled for 90 mins. added 15IBUs of Fuggle at 60 and another 8 IBUs of Fuggle at 30. After the boil I let it cool over night and pitched with Aussie ale yeast and the built up Roselare at about 9 o'clock. Three hours later this is what it looked like.
But when I wok up this morning it already had a krausen line and another krausenn was building up which looked to me(I don't know if there is a real difference between a Brett krausen and a sacc krausen) to be of smaller bubbles of the kind that built up in the Brett starters.

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

Brett Drie
So,after a few weeks of waiting for the pellicle to drop in the starter, I decided to step it up with another 500ml of wort of 1040 SG which I boiled for 15mins with 1gr of EKG pellets. The reason for the hopping is that I wanted to try and get an idea of what the Brett Drie does with hop flavour and aroma.

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

Here we go. Update;
last thursday I brewed a 13ltr batch. 2.5kg Vienna, 0.5kg Munich,70gr CArafa3, 250gr wheat berries,250gr sugar(white). Mashed at 69C. 1oz Tettnanger@60 and 18gr EKG@20.
It was chilled and pitched with recultured LaChouffe yeast. OG was 1064 and FG from the Sacc ferment was 1014(reading taken after cold crash).
I then split the batch into 3 1 gallon demijohns and added1) oak cubes from which I ccultured the Brett B trois
2) Brett C
3) mix of Orval dregs,brett c and brett b trois
that was 9 o'clock last night. The pictures you see here(didnt re-set the time on the camera) was roughly 5:30 this morning Thai time. I was BIG TIME excited to see this much action so soon.
The sample I took tasted great. I little fruity,creamy on the tongue and well balanced.
Again,big thanks to Almighty,who made this possible.

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

All Brett B Trois Belgian IPA first tasting.

On the nose is slightly damp bread and ripe summer fruit preserve.
Minimal carbonation and a VERY cream mouth feel, reminds me of Dupont.
A lovely tart twang on the palate and a lingering chewy feel.
The high IBUs are but a faint tingle at the end, followed by toffee and prumes.
It is far more balanced and easy drinking than the 8.5% and 70+ IBUs should be.
It reminds me of a mix of Fresh Bass,Banks's Mild and Old Peculiar.
I am very impressed by this, to the point of being enamoured.

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

I cant wait to see how this beer is in a few weeks and then months. I am still in awe of how good it turned out AND how i managed to build up enough yeast for it from almighty's oak cubes.

A few weeks after the first bottle and there has been a flavour change.
The sweet breadiness is somewhat diminished and a HUGE tartness is coming to the forefront! The more the beer warms up,the more the tartness shines through. This is an amazing beer which is going to be hard to keep a hold of for very long.

I cant wait to see how this beer is in a few weeks and then months. I am still in awe of how good it turned out AND how i managed to build up enough yeast for it from almighty's oak cubes.

DId he send you oak cubes that had the cultures living in them?

Whoever you are, your an awesome dude! And a serious law breaker but who cares about cross continental microbe exchanges!!

Great thread, will be watching for updates

Thank you very much.
Yes, he just sent me oak cubes that had been used to age beers with those Brett strains and it seems that the little buggers were hardy enough to live in/off the wood for long enough for me to bring back to life.
Here in Thailand laws are seen as mere guidelines that one may wish to follow, if there isn't something better to do.

Back