Why I LOVE my Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Blue

Reaction score
Alright, so I hate the monotony of bottling, but that seems so blasé a reason. Really, what I love (and I'm just experiencing this right now) is that a keg -- which I thought was nearly empty -- just keeps churning out pint after pint.

With bottles, you know.

With a keg, it's a mystery.

:eek:

haha. untill you want it empty to put in new beer and the damn thing wont quit, and your seeing triple, because you thought it was only 3 pints worth.

I wanted to empty a keg, so I started filling bottles thinking I would get 1 or 2 full bottles. Pulled a whole six pack before it sputtered out.

It's always fun to have one of those nights where you're going "Alright! Gonna float this keg tonight. It's super light so gotta be maybe 2-3 pints left!"

3 hrs and 6-7 beers later, you're still pulling the handle and beer is flowing.

:p

There are times where I know multiple kegs are getting real low and every pint pulled is playing Keg Kick Roulette.

After a couple of years of that periodic drama I put together a separate carbing/holding fridge to extend the pipeline, so when a keg did kick it wasn't so traumatic...

Cheers!

I just finished my first keg today. Took me totally by surprise. I thought I had at least a growlers worth in there. I guess I underestimated my beer consumption. But at least the keg is now empty for my stout.

There are times where I know multiple kegs are getting real low and every pint pulled is playing Keg Kick Roulette.

After a couple of years of that periodic drama I put together a separate carbing/holding fridge to extend the pipeline, so when a keg did kick it wasn't so traumatic...

Cheers!

The best idea ever!!!

Is it bad that in my head, I see myself with a 7cu ft fermentation freezer, a 14cu ft keezer, and a 7cu ft holding freezer?

Jeez, I'll NEVER save any money.

Get a keg volume meter they go on the side and work wonderfully!! I like to bottle 2-4 22 oz bottles before I runout!!

You gave that plan up when you started brewing:)

La la la la la....DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT....La la la la la.

Not listening!

:drunk:

But my wallet that just bought a Blichmann Floor Burner, 15gal Spike welded kettle, and kettle H/W seems to be listening attentively. Weird....

Is it bad that in my head, I see myself with a 7cu ft fermentation freezer, a 14cu ft keezer, and a 7cu ft holding freezer?

Not at all. I have a 17cf fermentation fridge, a 17cf carbing/holding fridge, and a 10cf 6-tap keezer. Whatever it takes!

Just keep telling yourself it's not about the money, it's about the beer ;)

Cheers! :mug:

I've been trying to kick a keg now for a week and the sucker STILL keeps spittin' out beer!:rockin:

Nope. I've got a 20x20 brewery room in my basement, two temp controlled fermentation fridges, a 20 cu ft serving keezer, a 23 cu ft storage keezer, and two mini fridges for bottles and about 20 kegs.

Planning on building a TEC cooled temp controlled conical this summer to make some room and get rid of the ferm fridges.

Craigslist is your friend. :mug:

You forgot a freezer to hold the bulk hops you have repackaged into one ounce packages.

You forgot a freezer to hold the bulk hops you have repackaged into one ounce packages.

Got that covered: I use the freezer on my carbing/holding fridge to hold my vac-sealed home grown hops and my bought bulk hops. And I keep yeast in the fridge compartment on that unit.

[...]Craigslist is your friend.

Truer words have never been spoken. I got all three of my chillers for a total of $350 - and one of the fridges was brand new, with the other only 2 years old and spotless. The freezer was the oldie of the bunch - at 5 years.

It can take time to find the really great deals on Craig's List stuff, but it's totally worth the investment...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back