i have to keep punching my fruit down or ut will overflow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
I am new and used champagne yeast for the first time. Also as a first time I did not put my fruit in a bag. It is free roam in the bucket. I pitched the yeast about 8 hours ago and the lid, just sitting on top, is having a tantrum. But even worse is my fruit is rising and is only about an inch of going over a 6.5 gallon bucket. Should I remove the fruit? What should I do? HELP!

And worse, I have to be into work in 4 hours!! I'm panicing!

Hollie said:
I am new and used champagne yeast for the first time. Also as a first time I did not put my fruit in a bag. It is free roam in the bucket. I pitched the yeast about 8 hours ago and the lid, just sitting on top, is having a tantrum. But even worse is my fruit is rising and is only about an inch of going over a 6.5 gallon bucket. Should I remove the fruit? What should I do? HELP!

Get a gallon pot from your kitchen and transfer 1/2 gallon or so to your pot.

Get a gallon pot from your kitchen and transfer 1/2 gallon or so to your pot.

I did. When things settle can I join them in the secondary? Or is that risky? I got about a gallon in a big plastic container. Ive had pretty active fermentation before but never like this. I wonder if that's because of the type of yeast I'm using or what?

I actually used a lid with weights on top to keep the "cap" from over flowing. It worked. If you only have an inch or so after the yeast really is going, you should be fine. You can always weigh down a lid like I did!

Back